Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electrical / wont turn over after jumping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2014, 09:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default electrical / wont turn over after jumping

Hi all, first time to post here. I have a problem with my wifes cruiser. Sorry in advance for the lengthy story but feel it was necessary so you know exactly what was done.

My wife has a 2003 2.4 cruiser. The temp here has been in 30 f to -20. The battery died this morning so we got a new one. I was trying to start it but it with great difficulty to the point of wearing down the new battery. I hooked jumper cables to my truck so I wouldn't drain the new battery. I finally got it started and let it run for a while then shut it off to disconnect the cables thinking I warm it enough to start on its own. WRONG... it barely turned over like the battery was about dead. Hooked up the cables againg and it wouldn't do anything. I then disconnected the dables and got jothing. The batter readsv12V plus. I checked the relay, ignition start and run fuses which are all fine.
PLEASE HELP. I dont know what else to check. Thanks in advance for any help / replys.

Clueless
Old 04 Jan 2014, 09:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: electrical / wont turn over after jumping

Did you check the cables going to the starter & the ground on the fenderwell(notorious for faulty/weak connection)......You can put a fully charged/new battery in,and if the cables are bad your not going to have the correct resistance.......First thing I'd check(other than the terminals themselves)would be the black ground wire on the fenderwell,and make sure it's clean & making good contact.
Old 04 Jan 2014, 09:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: electrical / wont turn over after jumping

Hey Randy thanks for the quick reply, checked the ground and connections to the starter. No luck. Tried tapping the starter incase it was sticking, no luck. It clicks once and thats it, bad starter?
Old 05 Jan 2014, 08:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: electrical / wont turn over after jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_knight99 View Post
Tried tapping the starter incase it was sticking, no luck. It clicks once and thats it, bad starter?
Hold on!.....Mine did the same thing a few weeks ago,and I was able to get it going by 'banging' on the solenoid housing(located on top of starter),using a 1x2 + my 21oz hammer,and had my Dad turn the key while I 'banged' on it....On the 3rd bang it fired up,I did have to do it one more time after turning it off,and immediately trying again;But,it been OK for over 3 weeks+ now.
Give it another try,and this time bang on the solenoid,not the starter.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 10:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: electrical / wont turn over after jumping

This sounds like a bad battery. A bad battery can cause it not to jump. I have had that issue in the past. Have you had the battery tested?