PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Insurance Co Totals My PT after fender bender

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jan 2014, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Insurance Co Totals My PT after fender bender

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser, Base Model - I guess that is a touring model? Pretty much no frills, but has AT, AC, power door locks and windows and is in good shape. Has about 105K miles on it.

My wife was driving it and was hit from behind while she was turning. It did some damage to the driver's side rear and the insurance company is totaling it. The bumper would have to be replaced and the quarter panel fixed and they are saying the lift gate would have to be replaced.

They are offering me $5500 plus $450 for totaling the car. They say repair would exceed this value estimate.

I just put new tires on it six months ago did the 100K timing belt, pump replacement, etc.. to the tune of $2300. The car still drives fine and I don't see any damage beyond the drivers side rear. The "lines" of the car are all still unaltered. I don't see any other flaws.

So... The engine/drivetrain and all mechanicals are fine.

I just hate to "throw away" that car. I don't really want to deal with parting it out, but if I keep it, they will still give me $4500 - albeit with me having to get a salvage title.

Any suggestions on what to do with the car? Can I find people on this forum that would want the parts? The interior is in great shape (cloth), the engine is in great shape.

We live in a throw-away society and I hate it sometimes. I've priced the car on KBB and Edmunds and if I believe them, the Ins Co is giving me a reasonable price.

Any thoughts?

Tim
Old 06 Jan 2014, 05:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Insurance Co Totals My PT after fender bender

I would take the $4,500.00 and keep the car. You could document the damage with pictures, have it repaired and sell it as is, or just keep it and drive it. Not everyone is afraid of a salvage title as long as they are satisfied as to the reason for the insurance company totaling the vehicle.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 05:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the quarter panel can be fixed and not replaced and there's no frame damage, I would have thought you could pick up the parts you need for a lot less and get it back together although as you said, with a salvage title. But I'm no body and paint guy so maybe it would cost more. if you have pictures, try posting them to get the views of others with more experience.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 05:59 pm
Banned

Why not donate the the car to a local church or shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferman View Post
I have a 2005 PT Cruiser, Base Model - I guess that is a touring model? Pretty much no frills, but has AT, AC, power door locks and windows and is in good shape. Has about 105K miles on it.

My wife was driving it and was hit from behind while she was turning. It did some damage to the driver's side rear and the insurance company is totaling it. The bumper would have to be replaced and the quarter panel fixed and they are saying the lift gate would have to be replaced.

They are offering me $5500 plus $450 for totaling the car. They say repair would exceed this value estimate.

I just put new tires on it six months ago did the 100K timing belt, pump replacement, etc.. to the tune of $2300. The car still drives fine and I don't see any damage beyond the drivers side rear. The "lines" of the car are all still unaltered. I don't see any other flaws.

So... The engine/drivetrain and all mechanicals are fine.

I just hate to "throw away" that car. I don't really want to deal with parting it out, but if I keep it, they will still give me $4500 - albeit with me having to get a salvage title.

Any suggestions on what to do with the car? Can I find people on this forum that would want the parts? The interior is in great shape (cloth), the engine is in great shape.

We live in a throw-away society and I hate it sometimes. I've priced the car on KBB and Edmunds and if I believe them, the Ins Co is giving me a reasonable price.

Any thoughts?

Tim
Old 06 Jan 2014, 06:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Why not donate the the car to a local church or shelter.
While I do agree that's a good idea, we have no idea of his financial situation and most people in today's economy can't afford to just give a car away.

Now, the people that do have a car almost stored away (you with your PT and me with my Vette) could probably afford to do that and not be any the worse off but I doubt either of us would.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Pretty well has to be some frame damage for that amount of damage.
One of the deer collisions I had the driver's door barely opened (it sounded horrible - metal on metal - and total repair was only about $1,000, so $4500 is a lot of damage.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Jan 2014, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I don't think I want to keep the car at this point. I have already replaced the vehicle with another for my wife to drive.

I wouldn't mind keeping it, but we don't really need it, nor do we have the space for it. If I could make some money parting it out, I'd keep it for a while.

Donating it is an idea... Would help at tax time.

I guess I should hit up some local car shops to see if there is interest.
Old 06 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
If the quarter panel can be fixed and not replaced and there's no frame damage, I would have thought you could pick up the parts you need for a lot less and get it back together although as you said, with a salvage title. But I'm no body and paint guy so maybe it would cost more. if you have pictures, try posting them to get the views of others with more experience.
Here is a pic of the damage. The guy at the body shop said no frame damage, but the liftgate would have to be replaced. It looks as though the liftgate would not need to be replaced, but whatever. I'm guessing that the repairs exceeded a certain percentage of the total worth of the car, which isn't 100%.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131215_151114.jpg (40.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 06 Jan 2014, 11:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Talking Re: Insurance Co Totals My PT after fender bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferman View Post
Here is a pic of the damage. The guy at the body shop said no frame damage, but the liftgate would have to be replaced. It looks as though the liftgate would not need to be replaced, but whatever. I'm guessing that the repairs exceeded a certain percentage of the total worth of the car, which isn't 100%.
Totalled????....Can't wait tell Danny sees this thread!lol
Old 07 Jan 2014, 12:04 am
Fanatic Cruiser

if you have the receipts for the repairs that you made the ins. company should add that into the money they will give. It's worth a try.

FEBRUARY CRUISER OF THE MONTH

Tags
2005 pt cruiser, engine, parts, salvage