Hood prop & transmission fluid leak

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2014, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hood prop & transmission fluid leak

It's been a bad day.

I've been outside for hours, shoveling the driveway clear. We got about a foot of snow during this storm, and temperatures have been down to 36 below zero for the past two days.

We've already replaced two batteries, for my Ram and the PT. After shoveling, I was reminded to try to jump the kid's Subaru. But I think the battery is fine, and the fuel line is frozen, instead, because jumping didn't help.

So I was very , very tired, and I tried to close the PT hood while the prop was still up. It jammed in the hole, made a slight dent on the top of the hood, and pushed a pea-sized bit of paint off. I had to go buy a hack saw (mine was at work), and cut the prop, because I could not figure out how to free it from the bottom without making things even worse.

Then I saw the pink spots in the snow. The PT is leaking transmission fluid, now. I hope it's just the gasket on the solenoid, maybe because of the extreme cold.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hood prop & transmission fluid leak

Sorry to here that.

Many PT's I've seen have a small dimple where someone tried to shut the hood with the prop up.

For about a $100, you can eliminate this hazard by adding lift struts. Here's a link to some I've been looking at:

Race and Street: Chrysler PT Cruiser Hood Struts Kit Black Premium - Clark & Clark
randyincctx likes this.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 07:05 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Red face Re: Hood prop & transmission fluid leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroozinNb00zin View Post
It's been a bad day.
Sorry to hear you had a bad day......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KroozinNb00zin View Post
I had to go buy a hack saw (mine was at work), and cut the prop, because I could not figure out how to free it from the bottom without making things even worse.
Even in a situation like that,you always have this forum to turn to,and ask ANY question.
The only dumb question,is the one you don't ask before breaking,or screwing something up.
Don't think I'm 'ribbing' on you,because I'm not....If nobody posts their failures,this forum would only be 50% valuable.
But,I would have suggested placing a block of wood on the frontside of the hood-prop,and use a hammer to bang it back out of the slot;That way you wouldn't end up having to cut it,and need to get another one.
Unless your hammer was also at work......

In that case:

Emily-Litella-Never-mind.jpg

P.S.....If it's any consolation;You can still use a wood block & hammer to try and fix the 'reverse dimple' it left in the hood.
Just lay down a rag,then place the wood block down,and use the hammer to tap it back down flush(it won't be perfect)....Then maybe try some Duplicolor 'Scratch Fix All-in-1' touch-up paint to fill the hole/chip:
Dupli-Color :: Scratch Fix 2n1
Old 09 Jan 2014, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hood prop & transmission fluid leak

Thanks, guys.

Next year, I'm buying a snow blower and leaving the shoveling to the kids.