Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Wont Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2014, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Wont Start

Hey hopefully someone can help me. This past week here in Chicago Sunday night into Monday the temps got to a low of -52 with Wind Chill. Since Monday Morning my PT wont start. I have Tried Jumping it but it wont turn over all i get is click. I still have lights as well as the radio but that is all i am getting at the moment. I do have close to a full tank of gas and the starter was replaced this past spring/summer if that helps anything. Please let me know if you have a idea thanks.

Stan
Old 07 Jan 2014, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Wont Start

Stan,

We've had about 1/2 dozen people come to the forum with the same problem...freezing temperatures and the PT won't start. It's almost the battery or battery related parts all the time. Check all your cables for built up corrosion and tightness and make sure the jumper cables are connected right, making good contact with your almost dead battery.

The lights and radio take almost no power whereas the starter trying to turn over the engine needs the full power from the battery. Check the battery and see if it's about 12 volts. 11.5, 11.6, 11.7 won't do it (usually). Attach the cables from the donor car and have that car at a high idle feeding your dead battery for a couple minutes, then try again.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks i will give it a shot and see what happens rather be a battery problem than a starter or alternator.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 05:16 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
Thanks i will give it a shot and see what happens rather be a battery problem than a starter or alternator.
Sounds more like a weather problem.
Old 07 Jan 2014, 08:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: PT Wont Start

First time after we had a cold snap down here,my PT didn't want to start,and would only click once,even though I had full battery.....Turned out to be a 'sticky' solenoid plunger. Another starting problem
Here's my post from that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
BINGO!!!!......We have a winner!;Now that I had a handy assistant to turn the key,while I'm under the hood(Thanks Dad!),I had him start 'bumping' the key,while I used a 1x2 & hammer to 'rap' on first the starter solenoid housing(3x),and then on the starter housing itself.....On the third bang on the housing.....'Vroom-Vroom!'
I'm letting it idle for a bit,to assure any charge that was drained is replenished.
I find it strange that it worked fine the other day,and then after this last 'chiller' of a cold snap we had....I got 'nada'?(I've seen where others had mention the same conditions.)