Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Secrets of the PT Cruiser

Like Tree318Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2014, 08:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Secrets of the PT Cruiser

Hey everyone, I wanted to start this thread because I want people to share something about the PT Cruiser that most people don't know about. I got the idea from this post:

What did you do to your Cruiser today?

I had no idea there was a bulb there. (Probably cause I think mine is burnt out) So share something about the PT that has always been in front of you but you never noticed it.
thecabinguy likes this.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 08:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX
Default Re: Secrets of the PT Cruiser

Shoot, I just realized that I posted this in the Tech and Performance area and not the general area. Crewzin, can you move this thread? Thanks.
Old 09 Jan 2014, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Secrets of the PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkAvengerX View Post
I had no idea there was a bulb there. (Probably cause I think mine is burnt out)
That secret actually began with this thread: Hole In Dash?
Old 09 Jan 2014, 10:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT Cruiser was originally called the Neon station wagon until the infamous Daimler/Chrysler Christmas party of the 1999.

It was the only time the German marketing department ever got together with their American counterparts. The result was three unexpected pregnancies, five Class D misdemeanors, two Class C Felonies, eight lawsuits (including one from PETA due to a "gerbil incident") and the PT Cruiser.

Old 09 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The PT is actually shorter than a Neon!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2014, 01:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Early PT prototypes did not have the watts-link set up and strut towers intruded into the rear storage.
Oh! You read that somewhere.
Well did you know that the Maisto 1/18 scale diecast PT Cruiser models include this (now) false feature. (1st pic)
The Gates 1/18 is correct (2nd pic).

Recently picked up a Gate model; it includes the engine under an opening hood.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 02:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Secrets of the PT Cruiser

Here's another secret......The glove box trim piece was eliminated after the 2001 model year,but the 'slots' are still there for it(It was replaced by using 2 longer rubber 'bumpers').

PT_Glove_Box_Trim_1.jpg

PT_Glove_Box_Trim_2.jpg

Last edited by randyincctx; 10 Jan 2014 at 02:21 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 02:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Love this thread already!
garkeller likes this.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 02:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay,

For some serious stuff. This may be common knowledge to some but interesting to me:

Only the 2001 PT does not have the cabin filter housinig. But even for later PT's with the housing, most came without a filter in it.

The 2001 has a different stereo head plug and antenna than later 1st Gen PT's and requires adapters to be interchangeable.

There were two batches of 2001 PT's made. The first batch was made in 2000 and the second in 2001. Thus those that list their PT as being a 2000 model are actually saying they have a first-batch 2001 PT. And the 2000 model nomenclature can still be seen in some catalogs and parts lists.

2001 and 2002 engine blocks are different than later models and are not interchangeable due to a difference in location, shape and function of the crank sensor.

The head on 2001 and later PT's are different than earlier 2.4L heads. The exhaust valve is smaller and the valve covers are not interchangeable.

The Vauxhall Motor Company in the UK sells a little micro-mini hatchback car that is a version of the German Opel Corsa. The version made from 2000 to 2006, called the Vauxhall Corsa C MKII, has a very cool looking rear hatch wiper blade. And for some strange reason, it is perfectly interchangeable with the rear wiper on a PT Cruiser. Who would of thought it? And who would have figured this out?

The silver accelerator and break peddles in GT's and some other versions are more than just fancy covers. The actual peddles themselves are shaped and made differently than the regular black pedals. But they are interchangeable as long as you change the entire pedals brackets and all.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Jan 2014 at 03:09 pm.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 09:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Keeping with the early 2001 theme!

The early 2001's have a master window switch that only controlled the two front windows. You have to reach back to the switch on the back of the center console to open the rear windows.

And my Cruiser came with the rails for the passenger side underseat drawer, but no drawer. I picked one up at a later date and dropped it right in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001_PT_Front_Window_Switch.JPG (27.8 KB, 222 views)

Early 2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual