Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2014, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 pt cruiser

Hi Everyone, Don't know if I am on the right board or not.
I have 2007 pt with 26,000km. It works good but in the extremely cold weather I need a boost. New battery in 2011 and 2013. They say I don't drive it enough.
There are other makes of cars and a 2010 pt where I live and I drive mine more than they do. I start it up and let it run for 15 minutes in the cold weather. I did, until this year have a start-up remote to warm it up but it stopped working. I added that in 2009 and thought that is the problem.
Got it taken off last week.
I had to replace bushings which were covered under warranty. They say not driving enough is not good for the car as the parts rust out? Put brakes on last year.
I love my pt and want to keep it even when the warranty goes. I don't know how long you can keep one.?....even if I have to spend money on it.
Chrysler garage says I would be better to trade it as 7 yrs is old. I am a senior lady and live by myself so it is hard to know what to do. Some people say keep it and others say trade? I would like to drive for another 5 yrs if I can.
I still have warranty until Dec 2015. Tanks for listening......pashie
Old 12 Jan 2014, 04:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 pt cruiser

Pashie, welcome to the forum. Yes, it's true that if you don't drive enough to keep the battery charged up, it will go dead. I had the same problem here as The Sheriff's station I work out of is only 6 miles away and trips out with my wife was done in her car so the PT got very little use. Found that the battery would run down more often than not. With your, you have double trouble because cold weather is tough on a battery also. I now keep it on a float charger that keeps the battery charged up when not using it.

Your 26,000 kms is only 16,000 miles and there's lots of us on the forum that have over 100,000 miles so you should be able to keep the PT for a long time. You just have to figure out how to keep the battery charged when not using it. They have solar chargers that plug into your cigarette lighter and sit on the top of the dashboard.
Old 12 Jan 2014, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you so much. It won't start maybe 3 times a winter and I have the extra warranty for one more year.
Do all cars rust more if they aren't driven a lot? I am concerned about the rusting ? Is a float charger the same as the solar charger? Maybe Chrysler or the Canadian Tire would have them? Thank you for your help. Wish they would be making more pt cruiser's. Pashie
Old 25 Jan 2014, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Another day of no start...got a boost and drove it to my Chrysler garage......it was only 2 weeks ago they told me my battery was good .....so they called me and said I have a dead cell.....I said you said the battery was good...

he said there are 2 ways to check a battery and the mechanic used the wrong one.....dah......by now I am mad.....they said for $100 they would put a new battery in....I said NO bring my car here please.....

went to Canadian tire to get new battery ....they checked alternator and battery and said it was almost perfect and wouldn't put in a new battery but Crewzin they put on the SOLAR PANEL like you suggested.to see if this would help......if I need a battery it will be from Canadian Tire.
They also told me can get maintance there too even if I am still under warranty...( 1 yr). Chrysler told me I had to get it there to keep my warranty up.....
they also said my car is in great shape and I should keep it after my warranty goes.....
Anyway hope the sun comes out for the solar panel.....or does it need sun?thanks for the help....
I will be so happy if this works.....only cost $ 74.00
Pashie
Old 25 Jan 2014, 03:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't need bright sun but it does need to be bright out. Heavy clouds will not charge it and it doesn't have to charge everyday, just enough to keep it charged enough to start the car. You'll have to see. Also read the instructions that came with the solar charger (if you have it). See if it can overcharge the battery or there's some circuitry inside that will stop the charging when the battery is full. You don't want to overcharge it as that just as bad as not keeping it charged up.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 03:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the question...... I called CTT and asked if it would overcharge and he said no.......will have to see how it works....will let you know....thanks again pashie
Old 25 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm
Banned

Tell the people that tell you to get a new car to pay the payments for it.

If it's paid off you'd be crazy to sell.

I unhook my cables and keep a battery tender on mine, last year I drive 1500 miles and I don't have any rust problems.
Old 02 Feb 2014, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah!!!! the solar panel is working great......thanks for the help......going to keep my pt........thanks for the help......pashie
Old 16 Feb 2014, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thought it was all fixed up. Wouldn't start again after a real cold night. Will have to get a new battery at CTT. Have to wait 8 weeks as I just had operation on my neck. thanks carol
Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

The man who tried to start my car didn't give it any gas. I went out and gave it a little gas and it started good. pashie