Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Airbag fuses missing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2014, 03:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Airbag fuses missing

Hi all, I'm new to this forum (put my ranger into a ditch so the PT has become my car till I fix the body damage.) greetings from me and my Post Traumatic Cruiser!

Just finished replacing the multi switch with fogs for one with no fogs - going to add a switch of my own..

Also had ghost locks going off but I think it was due to low battery as a charge seems to have remedied it for now.

Onto today's agenda--->

Problem:
I have an airbag light on the cluster.

Notes:
The car is a rebuild and both airbag fuses are missing from their slots

Analysis:
I'm scared now. Why would they pull those out? In the below picture I see them in so it's uncommon to see them missing right?

Thanks in advance.

Old 13 Jan 2014, 10:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Airbag fuses missing

Okay, welcome. We will try to help.

I'm not sure what's going on with your Cruiser. Did you just buy the car and did you buy it with the air bag warning light obviously lit? Or is the light something new and somewhere, somehow the fuses went missing? If you had work done on the Cruiser and it was returned to you with the warning light, I suggest you take it back.

Air bags deserve respect but you shouldn't be scared that they are like hair trigger bombs, either. Personally I would disconnect the battery and keep the door open for a few minutes so the dome light completely drains any reserve juice, then replace the missing fuses, then hook the battery back up. I don't know if that's even necessary but that's all the caution I would use. If the warning light is out with the fuses in, call it done.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 01:28 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Airbag fuses missing

I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada,but most states here in the USA have laws that require:ďall safety equipment must work on cars that are being sold by either a car dealer or private party. All lights, brakes, safety belts, windshield wipers, horns and air bags must function properly.
If this is the law in Canada,I suggest your make the seller correct the issue.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 05:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was unfamiliar with the car when I test drove it, so it may have been on and I just didn't see it..

It came like this with no fuses, so it must have been on..I guess I will have to see what putting them in does.

Randy, you may be right but it's a private seller so getting them to fix it might involve court at this point- hopefully it's just a missing fuse?

Am just curious as to what reason for pulling those 2 would be? It's either a precaution for working on it or someone is hiding a problem I think.
Old 13 Jan 2014, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

DONT put those fuses in there. do some research first and you should at least consider replacing the airbag module before you do anything stupid.

pt cruiser airbag sensor | eBay

carefully consider that if you insert those fuses you might be buying 2 new airbags, a new sensor, and a windshield.

on the other hand... if you do insert the fuses, can you take a video of it? i mean at least you'll have a funny video if something dumb does occur
Old 13 Jan 2014, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are those fuses oem or not?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 03:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

You mean to say that someone replaced the airbags with fuses removed and without replacing the sensors?? Thus priming the system like a bomb? Seems like an odd thing to do..

My theory would instead be that someone disabled the airbags because of an elderly driver with heart issues, just due to rumors I heard about the prev. owner...

But on the off chance that you are correct and the re-builder was the biggest twat ever, how do you check the sensors without powering the system up and potentially detonating the car apart?
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Do I need to buy a scanner in order to check the system for faults?

I just want to guarantee that nothing is going to trigger it before I power it up..
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
You mean to say that someone replaced the airbags with fuses removed and without replacing the sensors?? Thus priming the system like a bomb? Seems like an odd thing to do..

But on the off chance that you are correct and the re-builder was the biggest twat ever, how do you check the sensors without powering the system up and potentially detonating the car apart?
-does anyone on here know the answer to this??
Old 16 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: Airbag fuses missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
how do you check the sensors without powering the system up and potentially detonating the car apart?
The only way I know of confirming the operational status of the SRS system is with a DRB-III,or Witech compatible scantool.
SRS sytem is pretty critical,probably more so than even the ABS system;I think this is one of those situations where....You either replace the missing fuses yourself,,and pray,or bite the bullet,see a qualified Chrysler service shop(with DRB-III),and let them diagnose & repair properly.
Or just live with the 'Airbag' light on.