PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need some advice

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2014, 09:10 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ORLANDO, FLORIDA.
Posts: 349
Default need some advice

I am retiring the end of Feb and am going to retire my 03 Gt with 85k on it. I will change all fluids, wax it good and dress the tires. The car will be stored in my carport with a cover and blocked up under the frame to take pressure of the suspension and tires.. My question is how do I preserve the rotors?

Did I miss anything?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2014, 11:19 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: need some advice

Since it's outside you should remove them from the elements. Moisture equals rust.

Or paint them with some cheapo paint then remove the paint with brake cleaner when it comes time to use them again.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2014, 11:33 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 264
Default Re: need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
I am retiring the end of Feb and am going to retire my 03 Gt with 85k on it. I will change all fluids, wax it good and dress the tires. The car will be stored in my carport with a cover and blocked up under the frame to take pressure of the suspension and tires.. My question is how do I preserve the rotors?
Why are you worried about the rotors? The rotors easily come off. Might as well put it on jack stands and take the wheels off along with the rotors. Curious on why you are retiring a car? Might want to add a can of Seafoam in there to preserve the fuel.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jan 2014, 07:39 pm
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ORLANDO, FLORIDA.
Posts: 349
Default Re: need some advice

I am going to one car because I am retiring and can only afford/need one car.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jan 2014, 07:54 pm
InfernoGT's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Posts: 541
Default Re: need some advice

If you want to preserve your rotors, soak them with oil. Then use brake cleaner to remove the oil if you want to use them again.
__________________
2006 PTGT with 5spd. ~60k miles
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jan 2014, 08:47 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SPEED View Post
I am retiring the end of Feb and am going to retire my 03 Gt with 85k on it. I will change all fluids, wax it good and dress the tires. The car will be stored in my carport with a cover and blocked up under the frame to take pressure of the suspension and tires.. My question is how do I preserve the rotors?

Did I miss anything?

If I were in your place I would;

1. Add a can of STABIL to the gastank and run it for 5 minutes to make sure that the protected gas has spread throughout the entire system.

2. Park it and put a container of something like DAMP RID on the floorboard. Put on the car cover.

4. Every three weeks or so I would start it up and let it idle for 10 minutes or so and run it back and forth through the gears several times to get the tranny up to operating temp.

5. Use all the bells 7 whistles (lock-unlock doors, turn on a/c, roll windows up & down, etc., etc. to keep them workin gfreely.

6. Move it around in the driveway braking frequently. Probably drive it up and down my street and let it idle for another 10 minutes after pulling it back in place. Make sure that the tires are not in the same position that they were before I drove it to prevent flat spots.

7. Letting it run this long will rid the crankcase of any moisture accumulation from sitting. Just to make sure, I would continue to change the oil at least once a year.

The biggest advantage to doing it this way, is that the PT will remain a part of your life and keep you young.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jan 2014, 10:24 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: need some advice

#6

Uhhhhhh that would be great if it wasnt on BLOCKS!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
If I were in your place I would;

1. Add a can of STABIL to the gastank and run it for 5 minutes to make sure that the protected gas has spread throughout the entire system.

2. Park it and put a container of something like DAMP RID on the floorboard. Put on the car cover.

4. Every three weeks or so I would start it up and let it idle for 10 minutes or so and run it back and forth through the gears several times to get the tranny up to operating temp.

5. Use all the bells 7 whistles (lock-unlock doors, turn on a/c, roll windows up & down, etc., etc. to keep them workin gfreely.

6. Move it around in the driveway braking frequently. Probably drive it up and down my street and let it idle for another 10 minutes after pulling it back in place. Make sure that the tires are not in the same position that they were before I drove it to prevent flat spots.

7. Letting it run this long will rid the crankcase of any moisture accumulation from sitting. Just to make sure, I would continue to change the oil at least once a year.

The biggest advantage to doing it this way, is that the PT will remain a part of your life and keep you young.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 15 Jan 2014, 11:37 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: south of Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,037
Default Re: need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
#6

Uhhhhhh that would be great if it wasnt on BLOCKS!
As usual you're having trouble with 'comprehension'. If you'll read my post again SLOWLY, I'm obviously suggesting to him to NOT put it on blocks.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 16 Jan 2014 at 12:04 am.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jan 2014, 12:54 pm
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 3,722
Default Re: need some advice

He already said that is what he is going to do, he is asking about his rotors specifically.

Go back to bed, you're cranky




Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
As usual you're having trouble with 'comprehension'. If you'll read my post again SLOWLY, I'm obviously suggesting to him to NOT put it on blocks.

Jerry
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 16 Jan 2014, 01:51 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,886
Default Re: need some advice

I might suggest that if the financial need to park it isn't going to change. That selling while everything is in good order might be best in the long run. By the time you go through a minimum wage raise or two. Your fixed income won't get any better spending wise.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Advice ('04 PT) rockandroller Canada PT Forum 11 20 Mar 2013 10:23 pm
need advice please tomcruz General PT Cruiser Discussions 5 17 Aug 2004 12:27 pm
Please help...I need some advice. Rainman General Turbo Discussions 14 10 Aug 2004 11:10 am
Need advice Pyropathic Exterior Accessories Forum 4 09 Aug 2004 06:47 pm
Any advice? jsp70 General Turbo Discussions 11 02 Aug 2004 10:48 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors