PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission fluid leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2014, 07:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Transmission fluid leak

HI all,

I have a 2002 PT cruiser with only 40,000 miles on it. The other day I noticed there is a small spot of transmission fluid on the ground after the vehicle sits for a while. Usually 10-12 hours there will be a 2" diameter spot. I haven't been able to crawl under there do to weather but wanted to see if anyone out there knows the underside pretty good to let me know what it may be. the puddle is located about even with the radiator and if you are facing the front end it is to the right hand side and probably underneath the battery. MY initial thoughts are that maybe there is a transmission cooler mounted underneath there or the transmission lines come out and go to a portion of the radiator. Thx
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission fluid leak

could be the solidoid pack leaking they do that
Old 14 Jan 2014, 08:51 am
Banned

The cold and wet doesn't really make any differance. Simply go to any good tire/mechanical business (Firestone, Goodyear, discount, etc.) and have them put it up on the rack to check out. That will quickly tell you exactly whats happening and they can give you an estimate on the repair. Take it to more then one place to give you a choice. They do that for free here locally. Scope out the whole bottom while you've got it up there.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 14 Jan 2014 at 02:15 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, if it is the solenoid pack leaking, how involved is that for a DIY or what would a shop charge.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 01:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

My pack was replaced in Nov exactly due to a small leak.... overall it wasn't more than a couple hours and although I escaped the fee ( good friend did it ) I don't imagine its more than a couple hun if you go by all the google returns .
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 02:35 am
Senior Cruiser

jcraft; First check the transcooler hose clamps at both ends. A likely problem area. Then tighten the 3 solenoid pack bolts [10 mm socket, I think] to 110 in lbs.

If the solenoid pack gasket is changed, the area around the pack MUST be immaculate BEFORE the pack is removed.