Advertisements
Hood won't close completely - 2006 Touring Edition

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2014, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Hood won't close completely - 2006 Touring Edition

Happy Friday!

I was on the forum earlier regarding replacing a windshield sprayer nozzle. I got that taken care of.

Now I ran into the problem of the hood of my 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition not closing all the way.

When I close the hood, it catches something where the hood latches but you can wiggle the hood up and down still. It doesn't close completely.

The hood release inside the PT Cruiser is loose.

How do I go about fixing this issue?

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and it's been quite windy today. I don't want the hood somehow getting unlatched and fly up.

Looking forward to your helpful comments....

Thank you!

2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition.

Last edited by refbillyj; 17 Jan 2014 at 03:38 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old 17 Jan 2014, 04:13 pm
Banned

Default Re: Hood won't close completely - 2006 Touring Edition

Dang, I had a comment, but then you asked that it be helpful, so I am out

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbillyj View Post
Happy Friday!

I was on the forum earlier regarding replacing a windshield sprayer nozzle. I got that taken care of.

Now I ran into the problem of the hood of my 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition not closing all the way.

When I close the hood, it catches something where the hood latches but you can wiggle the hood up and down still. It doesn't close completely.

The hood release inside the PT Cruiser is loose.

How do I go about fixing this issue?

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow and it's been quite windy today. I don't want the hood somehow getting unlatched and fly up.

Looking forward to your helpful comments....

Thank you!
Old 17 Jan 2014, 06:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

have a second person operate the in-car latch while you stare at, and move the underhood latch with a flathead. if it does not move freely by itself, you may be able to free it up with WD40 or white lithium grease. if it does operate correctly, you might just need to adjust the rubber stops on the left and right corners of the hood. you can usually adjust the striker on the radiator core support by loosening the bolts. just be sure whatever you do ends up being a safe solution. a hood flying up is a really crappy reason to replace a windshield.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If nothing has be messed with. No adjustment should be needed. You most likely have something stuck. Cable not retracting all the way back in. Holding latch open. After the safety latch is engaging you should be able to push down lightly and hear it latch. If only the safety catch is holding. Don't drive the car, wind or not. It will blow up at some point. Most likely causing enough damage to total your pt. Check the cable push it into the housing and lube the latch as rob said till you get it working freely.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Last edited by Busted_PT; 18 Jan 2014 at 09:43 am.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 08:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I've had my share of hoods fly open during rebuilds when I was just too impatient or forgot to make sure the hood latch was working correctly. These were always exciting expensive moments!!!! The previous suggestion of freeing the latch with WD40 and relubricating it is indicated. No stop ajustment should be necessary. As you say the cable is not completely seating in its inner mount. This is your clue that the latch is not functioning past the safety. I know the weather is harsh in your area so get your PT indoors to do this and if you have access to compressed air, after you spray the WD40 into every nook and cranny, spray the accumulated gunk out that might be creating the blockage. I hope your efforts to free the latch will allow the cable to properly seat in the inner mount. If not I'd make a trip to a junk yard and get another one. good luck, ptprice
Old 18 Jan 2014, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I've had my share of hoods fly open during rebuilds when I was just too impatient or forgot to make sure the hood latch was working correctly. These were always exciting expensive moments!!!! The previous suggestion of freeing the latch with WD40 and relubricating it is indicated. No stop ajustment should be necessary. As you say the cable is not completely seating in its inner mount. This is your clue that the latch is not functioning past the safety. I know the weather is harsh in your area so get your PT indoors to do this and if you have access to compressed air, after you spray the WD40 into every nook and cranny, spray the accumulated gunk out that might be creating the blockage. I hope your efforts to free the latch will allow the cable to properly seat in the inner mount. If not I'd make a trip to a junk yard and get another one. good luck, ptprice
I'm with you on this ptprice!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2014, 09:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
I will blow up at some point. Most likely causing enough damage to total your pt.
Remind me NOT to piss you off. Lol
Old 18 Jan 2014, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
It will blow up at some point. Most likely causing enough damage to total your pt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappasmurf View Post
Remind me NOT to piss you off. Lol
Oops pappa, that was supposed to be It not I. heehheehhe. Thanks for catching that. Don't want to scare anybody.
rob342 likes this.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jan 2014, 10:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know what you meant, I just found it to be freaking hilarious. Kinda like that "don't do this or that to YOUR pt cause I don't like it" attitude I (along with others) get from other forums.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the comments.

I had an oil change done this past weekend and the mechanic was able to get the hood all the way down.

Not sure what he did to it but it works again. Maybe it needed to be inside a garage to warm up for awhile...

2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition.

Tags
hood, hood latch