Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Squeaky PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jan 2014, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Squeaky PT Cruiser

My 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition has a lot of squeaks from the front. Most noticeable at low speed going over speed bumps or potholes. My mechanic has checked front end and says noise is coming from rear cradle bushings and wants to drop rear cradle and inspect/lube bushings. Also says sway links are dry and recommends lubing these as well. Everything else is OK. Estimate is $100-$150. Other than the annoying squeaking (which I can live with) is there any other reason (safety/mechanical) to get this done? Mileage is 47K

I originally posted this on the wheels/suspension site but thought I might get additional response here.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 05:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Squeaky PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleriver View Post
My 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition has a lot of squeaks from the front. Most noticeable at low speed going over speed bumps or potholes. My mechanic has checked front end and says noise is coming from rear cradle bushings and wants to drop rear cradle and inspect/lube bushings. Also says sway links are dry and recommends lubing these as well. Everything else is OK. Estimate is $100-$150. Other than the annoying squeaking (which I can live with) is there any other reason (safety/mechanical) to get this done? Mileage is 47K

I originally posted this on the wheels/suspension site but thought I might get additional response here.
Yep. Get em done. Bushings serve a purpose, and a good one at that, they take the load of the weight of the car when its turning or bouncing and spread out and neutralize it. When bushing become old, or dry they crack. This can cause them to become very brittle and snap, when that happens all the load is put onto steel vs steel, which can lead to other broken components. bolts, or even snapping mounts.

If i were you I would just have him throw new bushings on BOTH. Bushings are cheap, about $10 a piece and you can get brand new moog swaybar links for like $14. Seeing as hes gonna pull it all apart to lube them, why not just throw new ones on and not have to worry :-)
Old 22 Jan 2014, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Squeaky PT Cruiser

I just picked up a complete polyurethane bushing set off of Amazon for the whole car, front to back for 98 bucks. I have the same issues, but I'm going to do the work myself... I have access to the Auto-Hobby Shop on Fairchild AFB with a nice lift, though. I did also notice a large amount of assembly grease that came with it, so... maybe just get away with spraying some white lithium grease in there if you have that low of mileage... could be it just dried up. I'd have to see your bushings to make that call, though. If they're cracked up, replace them... if they're just dry, lube those suckers up! Mine are cracked bad.

06 PT Cruiser base - Manual 63k miles (sold)

If you're in the Spokane area, shoot me a PM. I love seeing what others have done to their rides.