• 1 Post By garkeller
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By Motorhead
  • 1 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2014, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Taillight Issue-Please Help

I bought a 2007 Yellow Pastel Cruiser in August. In December, the left taillight went out. I replaced the slightly-cracked bulb. One week later the new bulb was cracked much worse. I replaced it and the next bulb lasted four weeks. When I called the gas station where I bought the bulbs, they lectured me about handling the bulb with my bare hand. So, I went to a chain car repair shop and they replaced the bulb last Friday. Today, 1/25, my bulb was not working again. Please provide any advice you have because I really want to keep my Lemon Drop!
Old 25 Jan 2014, 11:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Taillight Issue-Please Help

---my first thought would be bad gasket allowing rain/liquid into the bulb area, especially with the cracked bulb as a clue... I'll now step back for the experienced techs on here to give the issue a "crack"
LemonDrop likes this.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 11:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

As was said above, is the gasket around where the bulb fitment sits into the light in good shape, not cracked or missing that would let moisture inside the light?

If that's ok, check all around the outside of the light for any cracks around the lens where it meets the grey plastic part of the inside.

Next, check inside the socket hole where the bulb goes to see if there's any rust stains. Should be clean and shiny. Also check the wiring as far as you can to see there's no cracks in the wiring cover that would allow the wire to touch bare metal.
LemonDrop likes this.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just went through this.

My right brake/marker bulb was out. I thought is was odd that both filaments were dead.

Upon changing the bulb, I was surprised in seeing the old bulb glass broke in two. All the seals and the socket seem fine, so I replaced, and will see how long this one lasts..................very odd.

A while ago the signal on the same side was dead. It needed a new socket (dealer only, $15).

As far as lecturing you about handling, that applies to halogens (headlight/fog), not incandescent .
LemonDrop likes this.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 25 Jan 2014, 09:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Taillight Issue-Please Help

THIS ^^^^
Usually incandescent bulbs are not a problem with a little finger grease.
Does that ever seem to be a problem with your household light bulbs???
No!
(BTW - not touching with your hands does apply to your headlight bulbs too.)

But, it's a good idea to just wash the hands clean before doing it anyway.
(Especially if you have torn the dash apart to get to the small bulbs, like I'm about to do.)
LemonDrop likes this.

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 25 Jan 2014, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

As was said above, is the gasket around where the bulb fitment sits into the light in good shape, not cracked or missing that would let moisture inside the light?

If that's ok, check all around the outside of the light for any cracks around the lens where it meets the grey plastic part of the inside.

Next, check inside the socket hole where the bulb goes to see if there's any rust stains. Should be clean and shiny. Also check the wiring as far as you can to see there's no cracks in the wiring cover that would allow the wire to touch bare metal.
Thank you for everyone's thoughts. I do have moisture in my tailLAMP, including in the light bulb area. I am going to do a electronic diagnostic check on Feb. 3 to see if that is the issue. I do not want to replace the entire lamp and gasket but I think that is the best solution.
Old 26 Jan 2014, 07:49 am
Regular Cruiser

I had a small crack in the turn signal part of the lens. Very hard to see. I super glued the crack, which worked for a while, but eventually replaced the light.

Tags
taillights, wiring