Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Key fobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2014, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Key fobs

I replaced all the batteries in my key fobs (2002 PT Cruiser) and now neither fob works. I've tried reprogramming them after reading several old posts here, but it's not working. I KNOW there is a way to do it without taking it to the dealership because a friend of mine did it for me several years ago....and he's no longer in the area. This is a 3 button fob. I understand they're different from the newer models. Anyone yet find a solution that works?
Old 25 Jan 2014, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Key fobs

You tried reprogramming them reading old posts on the forum. Have you tried reprogramming them using the method that's in the owners manual? Page #16.

FREE Owners Manual Download

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah....saw the instructions from the owners manual in one of the threads. My manual tells me how to program a key, but not a fob.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have a 2000/2001 and page #16 says how to reprogram the 3 button keyless entry:

1. Insert key in ignition and turn to ON

2. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the transmitter for between 4 and 10 seconds.

3. Continue to hold the UNLOCK button and press the PANIC button. A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered.

4. Press a button on all transmitters to be programmed to the system, including any previously programmed transmitters. A chime will sound when each transmitter has been programmed.

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF to exit the transmitter programming mode.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 10:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, but that's exactly what I did and it didn't work. I believe you have to have one working fob, and neither of mine are working since I replaced the batteries.
Old 12 Mar 2014, 11:51 am
Young Cruiser

I just tried this myself on a new transmitter and it worked fine.
Old 15 Mar 2014, 08:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK, so I paid to have them reprogrammed. Worked for 2 whole days until the weather got super cold and quit working. Started working again once it warmed up. Got cold once more, they quit working and haven't worked since. Anyone know how to simply disable the alarm system? I'm tired of messing with them. And doubtful anyone would want to steal a 12 year old car.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 12:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Key fobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella View Post
OK, so I paid to have them reprogrammed. Worked for 2 whole days until the weather got super cold and quit working. Started working again once it warmed up. Got cold once more, they quit working and haven't worked since.
That's all starting to sound more like your current,and even original problem(s) may actually be the result of a failing RKE(Remote Keyless Entry) module....Not the fobs at all.

PT_RKE.jpg

Further details concerning the RKE module can be found here:http://www.justanswer.com/car/0urjb-...batteries.html