Advertisements
Clicking sound by engine

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2014, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clicking sound by engine

I started my car this morning and I noticed a clicking by the engine. I hear during idle and while driving. I haven't noticed a performance change or anything. I'm worried though. The sounds seems to come from the right side of the engine. There's a plastic cover for something inside that I don't know what it is, but the sound comes from there and I feel a little thump from there too. Would it be timing belt? Not sure if that's where it's located. On the right side of the engine right above the starter belt.
Thanks for the help.
2007 PT Cruiser Touring 77,000 miles.

I guess the plastic box is where there camshaft is.
That's where I hear the sounds coming from.

Last edited by jcmnz24; 28 Jan 2014 at 02:36 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 03:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Clicking sound by engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmnz24 View Post
I started my car this morning and I noticed a clicking by the engine. I hear during idle and while driving. I haven't noticed a performance change or anything. I'm worried though. The sounds seems to come from the right side of the engine. There's a plastic cover for something inside that I don't know what it is, but the sound comes from there and I feel a little thump from there too. Would it be timing belt? Not sure if that's where it's located. On the right side of the engine right above the starter belt.
Thanks for the help.
2007 PT Cruiser Touring 77,000 miles.

I guess the plastic box is where there camshaft is.
That's where I hear the sounds coming from.
It may be a stuck lifter. IS it cold where you live? Oil tends to thicken up a lot in the winter and when you start your car the engine can tick. Does the ticking increase with the RPM?

If so I would suggest on your next oil change misusing a quart of oil and replacing it with a quart of marvels mystery oil. That will free up all the lifters :-)

If its something more serious than that I'm sure someone else will chime in :-)
Old 28 Jan 2014, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluminator View Post
It may be a stuck lifter. IS it cold where you live? Oil tends to thicken up a lot in the winter and when you start your car the engine can tick. Does the ticking increase with the RPM?

If so I would suggest on your next oil change misusing a quart of oil and replacing it with a quart of marvels mystery oil. That will free up all the lifters :-)

If its something more serious than that I'm sure someone else will chime in :-)
I'm in Southern California, so it's not that cold at the moment :-)
I'd say 50s at night and high 70s during the day.
It just started this morning but the car runs well.
The ticking does increase with the RPM. The sounds comes from the right side of the engine, right by the camshaft box.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I'm in Southern California, so it's not that cold at the moment :-)
I'd say 50s at night and high 70s during the day.
It just started this morning but the car runs well.
The ticking does increase with the RPM. The sounds comes from the right side of the engine, right by the camshaft box.
Most likely a stuck lifter. Usually happens with low oil, or old oil. When you do your oil changes replace a quart of oil with marvels. You can also add 4oz of it to every full tank of gas which will help clean out the rest. Stuff is amazing :-D
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Most likely a stuck lifter. Usually happens with low oil, or old oil. When you do your oil changes replace a quart of oil with marvels. You can also add 4oz of it to every full tank of gas which will help clean out the rest. Stuff is amazing :-D
I decided not to drive the car because I wasn't sure what it was but I turned on the again a few hours ago and then it turned off by itself and wouldn't start anymore. I guess it is the timing belt?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Maybe

You can remove the timing belt cover and have someone turn the engine and see if it moves.

But odds are if the timing belt broke it would have just died while it was running, not fail to start the next time.

What does it do when you turn the key?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Maybe

You can remove the timing belt cover and have someone turn the engine and see if it moves.

But odds are if the timing belt broke it would have just died while it was running, not fail to start the next time.

What does it do when you turn the key?
I'll go ahead and do that.
Is it expensive to change the timing belt?

Well the the engine turns when I turn the key, but did not start. Haven't tried it anymore since I don't want to damage the engine.
Is the 2007 engine the interference type?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I'll go ahead and do that.
Is it expensive to change the timing belt?

Well the the engine turns when I turn the key, but did not start. Haven't tried it anymore since I don't want to damage the engine.
Is the 2007 engine the interference type?
2007 is non-interference. So turning it over with the cover off will not hurt it. Only way to hurt it is to have it break at high speed, the valves will not hit the tops but they will smack eachother at high speeds. I think your safe.

A timing belt job is anwhere between $800 and $1k at a shop depending on labor prices. you can get the whole belt, tensioners, and water pump in a kit for like $100 online if you look hard.

Takes a few hours in the PT because there is not much space to work.

But in the long run its a lot cheaper than a head gasket :-D haha Most Pt motors need the belt changed every 100k miles as a rule, and with your mileage its a possibility that the belt broke.

When the engine turns does it sound like its turning really fast? or like its struggling to turn over?
Old 28 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
2007 is non-interference. So turning it over with the cover off will not hurt it. Only way to hurt it is to have it break at high speed, the valves will not hit the tops but they will smack eachother at high speeds. I think your safe.

A timing belt job is anwhere between $800 and $1k at a shop depending on labor prices. you can get the whole belt, tensioners, and water pump in a kit for like $100 online if you look hard.

Takes a few hours in the PT because there is not much space to work.

But in the long run its a lot cheaper than a head gasket :-D haha Most Pt motors need the belt changed every 100k miles as a rule, and with your mileage its a possibility that the belt broke.

When the engine turns does it sound like its turning really fast? or like its struggling to turn over?
Well I'm glad it's the non-interference because I was a little worried that it was.
I look online and saw the water pump and belt combo for $117 at AAP.
It struggles to turn over. Well at least that's what I sounds like. What does that mean? Thanks for the help! :-)
Old 28 Jan 2014, 10:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Well I'm glad it's the non-interference because I was a little worried that it was.
I look online and saw the water pump and belt combo for $117 at AAP.
It struggles to turn over. Well at least that's what I sounds like. What does that mean? Thanks for the help! :-)
Struggling to turn over is actually a good thing :-) means low power :-D.

I would start with having your battery, alternator and starter tested before you go near the timing belt haha.

If you have a friend that can check the compression that will tell you if the timing belt is busted with minimal effort though :-)