Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard to steer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hard to steer

A new problem cropped up over the weekend, all of the sudden, its harder to steer at low rpms then normal. The problem seems to be rpm related rather then speed, if I rev the engine at low speed, it seems to go back to almost normal. Its an 01 n/a manual. I don't know if it might be because of the extended cold snap we've been having here in Michigan, if the oil change place I went to on Sunday screwed something up, or if the power steering pump might have just given out. She has 133k on her, so anything is possible.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Hard to steer

The power steering fluid is still full too
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

my 01 started getting hard to steer and pump started whining like it was low on fluid. my power steering reservoir was stopped up. I am told there is a screen in the bottom of the reservoir. I removed my reservoir and backflushed it with solvent I also flushed the hoses, installed an inline filter and filled with new fluid and now it works like new. if you replace the hoses there is a restrictor in the return hose that needs to be used in the new one.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Could also be a bad PS belt or tensioner. At low RPM's the belt isn't fighting that hard to keep up with the pullies, when you throw the RPM's up it can slip causing PS loss.

Check the tension and condition of the belt. if its worn or lose, replace the belt and tensioner and you will be golden :-)
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the opposite problem pluminator. At low rpms its hard, but gets easier at high rpms
Old 28 Jan 2014, 09:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymuzz View Post
I'm having the opposite problem pluminator. At low rpms its hard, but gets easier at high rpms
It can go both ways. If your around 800rpm and the belt is lose, it may not have enough tension to turn the pulleys, if you put it to 1200 RPM it will, but if you go above it can slip.

Also if the oil tech guys spilled oil down the side of the engine it could have come into contact with the belt which will cause the same issue.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And now all of the sudden, its better. It wouldn't suprise me if they sprayed some of their lubricant that can't seem to handle temps below 10 on it. That's what i get for not wanting to crawl under my car in -25 windchills. Guess I need to build myself a heated garage.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 12:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Started about 2 days ago, and I'm also in Michigan dealing with this cold weather. I was given a suggestion to use a product called Lucas Power Steering Cleaner? I guess its some high powered detergent designed to free up a gummed up filter. If that doesn't work, I may try to pull the hoses as suggested above and back flush everything.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

At least we have a heat wave coming, mid 20s for 3 straight days!