Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 2 Post By garkeller
  • 1 Post By pluminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2014, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Grinding noise and vibration.

2008 basic edition pT Cruiser. Experiencing a grinding noise from front end. Vibration that seems to be related to the grinding noise can be felt in the floor board. There is an uneven wear in the tires. Pulls to the right. And when moving at about 20 to 30 mph the front end rocks from side to side. Kind of like a swaying motion.
Lower control arms have been replaced. As well as the brake pads and rotors.
Tires were rotated and balanced too.
Any ideas?
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding noise and vibration.

Sounds like there's some information that your not telling us, like it's been in a front end collision. Uneven tire ware, car rocks from side to side, you'd better get it to a shop that knows what they're doing as far as front end damage so they'll know what to look for. We can only guess from here as to what is about to fall off or come apart but obviously you know something bad is going on so my advice is to get it up on a lift ASAP before something tragic happens and yo left stranded.
garkeller likes this.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

I fully agree with Crewzin...that kind of severity could be a CV tearing itself apart, a wheel bearing melting, tie rods bent/broken, a number of things...swaying, metal grinding and uneven wear with vibration? Straight to the shop and up in the air before disaster!
Old 29 Jan 2014, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No it has not been in a collision of any kind. I have owned it for three years and this is a new problem.
I will get it into a shop and have them put it up to check it.
Big O and one other mechanic have assumed it was the struts. Without driving it mind you.
The control arms were replaced because the boots on the joints were torn not that much more to replace whole arm with joints pressed in already.
Wheel bearings were replaced at that time also. Choose to do so as a preventative measure.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Based on what you're telling us has been replaced, sounds like CV joint in the drive axles.
I cannot see how struts would give a grinding noise.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jan 2014, 01:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Like others have said, I believe you have a bad CV joint, or possibly a highly warped wheel bearing that is about 3mph shy of ditching your wheel on you. I would advise taking it to a service center TODAY.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies. My gut tells me it isnt the struts. And hate going into a shop looking like a woman meant to be taken advantage of. Thanks again.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lugs all good and tight?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com