Advertisements
Question with those with a PT in the garage

Like Tree18Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Question with those with a PT in the garage

I'm asking because I don't want anyone to go outside in this weather that most of us are having.

On to the question: I just bought and received from eBay a set of Projector back-up lights. Went into the garage and turned the key to ON (not start) and put the shift lever into Reverse so I could see the old reverse lamps light up. THEY DON'T.

Question: Should the back-up lights light up without the car running? Ignition ON (engine off) and shift lever into Reverse.

Can't remember the last time I had the PT out at night and had to back into the garage....must be months or even years. Even if I did, two 60W bulbs come on to light up the garage when the door opens up so I wouldn't notice if the back-up light are out.

also, checked Fuse#6 (reverse lights)...good.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Question with those with a PT in the garage

Take the bulbs out and flip them the other way....LEDs are polarity specific,resistor must be on the positive side.(they should work with key to 'ON',and shifter in reverse)

Last edited by randyincctx; 29 Jan 2014 at 04:20 pm.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question with those with a PT in the garage

Randy, I didn't put the NEW Projector bulbs in yet. I can't get the old bulbs to light up before I even tried to put the new ones in.

I actually didn't take the old bulbs out to see if they are both blown, but who would have thought they would both go at the same time. I'll go check them now...
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Question with those with a PT in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Randy, I didn't put the NEW Projector bulbs in yet. I can't get the old bulbs to light up before I even tried to put the new ones in.
OIC.....On an MTX,you may have a bad 'back up light switch',unless there is bad wire,or corrosion;But,that would be strange because you take such good care of your PT,and to have 'both' not working......I'd zero in on the switch & check the plug first(may be loose?),you know where it is right?(that may be silly of me to ask that!lol)
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Question with those with a PT in the garage

One way you could check the wiring,sockets,and lights in one 'swoop'.....Pull the plug/connector off the 'back-up light switch',and supply 12v to the plug/connector;If both of the lights work when testing them that way...BINGO!;It's the switch.....Switch location(s)- N/A is located on top of the case on radiator side,and Turbo is on the front on the radiator side.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, I hope it's the the switch because I believe it's on the tranny. With my bad back, I've having a hard enough time just checking the bulbs. Just found out I have chrome covered bulbs (not sure why I have them except they look god inside the TYC reverse lights.

Gonna try the new projector bulbs in there now and see if they light up.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

mine come on with the key set to run, engine off, car in R
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Problem solved. I guess BOTH chrome covered bulbs had burnt out. I took the projector light and put it into the holder and almost blinded myself. DAMM, those things are bright. I also took the bulb out and stuck them in the opposite way and they still light up so I guess polarity doesn't matter.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: Question with those with a PT in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Well, I hope it's the the switch because I believe it's on the tranny.
Yeah,yours being an N/A it should be on top of the tranny(looks do-able),but that's for a typical PT Cruiser,you'd only need to remove the air-box & battery;
But,we know yours isn't a typical PT Cruiser.....You have extra 'stuff' to remove.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 04:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

Could you post a link to the bulbs you bought? I still have the factory housings but live in a very dark residential area/street on a busy corner and have nearly been hit twice backing out of my drive.

Oogway - Aquamarine 2001 PT Cruiser Limited
Alpine iDA-X200 DMR headunit w/ Sirius Satellite Radio
Closed Thread