PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Adding a turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2014, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Adding a turbo

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and have looked around a bit to find the answer to what I think is a fairly common question, but can't find it.
2 months ago I bought a run of the mill 2003 2.4 nat aspirated 4 cylinder cruiser. I'm surprised how underpowered it is. Is it possible to add a turbo to these engines? If so any recommendations?
Thanks,
JH
Old 02 Feb 2014, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Adding a turbo

It's possible, but not cheap.
The cheapest way is to trade in what you have and buy a turbo PT.
PT Turbos have a larger capacity cooling system, the connecting rods are forged... just two of the differences.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Feb 2014, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. As QSD just said, not cheap and pretty involved. Not sure if there's a "kit" you can buy or not and again, as was just said, the turbo PT's have a stronger engine for the extra boost of the Turbo.

Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? That should have showed you how they drive. If it's running properly, the N/A PT will keep up with 99% of the traffic unless you like to zip from traffic light to traffic light and then your gas mileage will take a steep dive and in case you haven't noticed, your only getting in the high teens or low 20's now for mileage.
Old 02 Feb 2014, 08:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

I would have to agree with Q-Don you would be better off starting off with a Turbo PT and building up from there.
Old 02 Feb 2014, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, good to know.
You know anything about a Tri-Phase Performance Module. Like to know something other than what the manufacturers say about their own product.
THX