Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
electrical issues 2005 GT convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2014, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default electrical issues 2005 GT convertible

well to my pt gurus......I have a car right now ata Chrysler service shop with less than 77K on it with code lights on. Right now the lights are the ABS, e brake light and track off. The check engine light had come on as well along with the airbag light. We could drive it home with no mechanical issues. The speedo would not register over 20 mph. Got it to the mechanic and it's codes were and have been the typical p300 and the two O2 sensors. Cleared the codes and I still have the original ABS lights on etc. Now I have been having issues ever since last summer. Changed the o2 sensors. Every time I would use the conv. top drive and go to put it back up the car would not run very well. Check engine light on again...let it sit overnight( extremely upset with it ) and in the morning it will start up and run fine. The check engine light is still on and I have the three same codes. I have had numerous opinions of the PCM, ground, electrical etc....so now it sits at my local Chrysler service shop and they are baffled....the one thing they seem to think and a possibility is the instrument cluster has a fault. Ok, so I don't want a shot in the dark...nor do I want to pay them to pick through and diagnose every wire and ground....anyone out there have any experience in this with anyone you know? Troubleshoot opinions are welcome. At this point I have bought another vehicle to replace my Pt and I am ready for it to be out of my life. It is real difficult to own such a fun convertible and not be able to trust it farther than I can afford to tow home....
Old 05 Feb 2014, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: electrical issues 2005 GT convertible

A low or bad battery will cause issues like this. How old is the battery?
Old 05 Feb 2014, 05:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: electrical issues 2005 GT convertible

How old is the battery.

And yes the cluster and PCM can cause issues, usually of the bus which can manifest itself with the cluster going crazy.

You will probably have to shot gun parts at it.

I went thru similar issue 2 yrs ago on my PTGT conv. We co-piloted it and captures the event or lack of the DRB Box showed loss of communication when the car stalled. Basically any module in the car can take down the bus communications and there is no way of telling which one. But when you gauges go mental you can probably winnow it down to the cluster or PCM, I guessed cluster since it had acted up previously but the car never stalled. I guessed wrong and then changed the PCM and that fixed it.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2