PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
drowning in oil

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2014, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation drowning in oil

oook heres what I got.....im a backyard mechanic and yesterday I had a client drop a 2007 pt cruiser off at my house. he bought it from a friend and had no knowledge of anything being wrong besides the struts where bad and the ball joints where a pot hole away from snapping. I hooked it up to the battery charger and tried getting it started and it just wasent happening. so I hooked it up to my scanner and got engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit-low voltage. so I checked the oil....now heres where it gets interesting, he had at LEAST 4 quarts over filled! so I drained the oil until it was in the "safe" marks, tried starting it again and it was a little easier to turn over but still not starting. so I checked the plugs, saturated in oil lol so I replaced them. while taking the intake manifold off I noticed even the air filter was saturated in oil. so my question is...how messed up do you guys think this car is? I know the rings are probably shot but it should still start. please give me your impute otherwise im just going to charge dude an hourly rate and start tearing the engine apart and figuring out exactly how deep this rabbit hole is. thanks!
Old 10 Feb 2014, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: drowning in oil

From one shade tree mechanic to another, I'd drop both intake and exhaust manifolds, pour gasoline down the spark plug holes and flush the cylinders outs while turning the engine SLOWLY. Then I'd rinse out the intake, throttle body and the rest. Next, I'd inspect to see if oil went down the exhaust manifold. If so, the cat may need removal and rinse out too. Or just leave the thing off and mount a straight pipe with a port welded on for the O2 sensor.

Once all the gasoline evaporated, I'd button her back up with a new set of plug and she should run. I might go ahead and change the oil sending unit just because they have a tendency to go bad and because that may have been the reason the last owner kept adding oil. She will likely need another oil change too since gasoline may seep into the crankcase while flushing.

This should all just take a few hours, a gallon or two of gasoline and some cheap spark plugs. I'd try this before digging into the engine. Who knows? It may run fine after rinse out.

Would a legit shop do this? I doubt it. But many legit shops would just pronoun this engine dead anyway.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Feb 2014 at 03:52 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it'll be fine. a girl i'm friends with likes to do stuff like that. dumb girl gets yelled at about being low on oil and starts adding a quart a week until well.. you know.

spray a little brake cleaner in the spark plug holes and then crank it so it can clean itself out. then reinstall the plugs, start it, and laugh at the smokescreen.

it'll smoke like hell for a minute but it'll be fine with no extra effort on your part. don't start taking parts off and making more work for yourself. i've been through this before with her dodge neon. just enjoy the show
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you might stick a new oil pressure sensor on there. they are known to go bad and that's likely what started the overfilling process.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

what they said some starting fluid and a ton of smoje it should clear up
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
what they said some starting fluid and a ton of smoje it should clear up
Agree-
I swear that di-ethyl ether (starting fluid) will ignite if you snap your fingers!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Feb 2014, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Interesting and lucky with that much oil in the crankcase that they did not hydro-lock the engine and or twist a connecting rod?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Feb 2014, 05:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

had that happen to my 1 ton dulley with a stroked 454 some how the head gasket let loose and again some how it filled a cylender with anti freez and i twisted a rod and actually cracked the crank
motor should be well lubed
Old 11 Feb 2014, 06:05 am
Senior Cruiser

Fixer; when you drained out the 4 qts, did you use the oil pan plug? There could be a gallon of antifreeze hiding under the oil causing the high oil level?

The rings are probably OK.
UptownSport likes this.

Last edited by pt06; 11 Feb 2014 at 06:48 am.
Old 11 Feb 2014, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Fixer; when you drained out the 4 qts, did you use the oil pan plug? There could be a gallon of antifreeze hiding under the oil causing the high oil level?

The rings are probably OK.
but wouldnt the oil be a milky color and smell really funky???

Tags
oil, tech, wont start