Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Water in the cabin!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2014, 09:48 am
Young Cruiser

Exclamation Water in the cabin!

Hi, this winter for the first time ever in my PT I had condensation and ice inside the windows - we've had a lot of rain this winter in the UK and somehow it's getting into the right hand side of the cabin.

I do not have a sunroof and the liquid Is definitely water not coolant - heater is working perfectly. The liquid is clear unlike my coolant which is lime green lol.

So today I pulled up the carpet on the RHS (ie UK drivers side) and its soaking wet. Ive removed the front seat and am currently using a heater to dry the carpet backing on one of our rare dry sunny days...after wringing what water I can from the carpet underside.

There is no damp under the dash behind the pedals - there's a foam panel there and is dry, as is the carpet on the tunnel & LHS.

I also lifted the carpet in the load area - also wet but not soaking - it appears to be 'wetter' towards the rear . I've pulled the trim in the rear & RHS and there's no obvious source for the ingress. There's one rubber grommet in the rear passenger footwell and it's firmly intact.

Could it be that water is entering from the hatch somehow?

I've read about the AC drainpipe - where is that under the dash?

Any experiences you'd care to share?

Thanks!

Old 16 Feb 2014, 10:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Water in the cabin!

The A/C drain pipe is on the outside and on the U.S. cruisers, it hangs just out of site at the rear of the passenger front wheel. When it drips, there's a puddle by the wheel. I don't see how that would get into the inside of the car but you might want to get under the car and see if you can find that drain hose. I have no idea how the drain pipe is on the diesel engine.

I'd go around and check on the rubber seal strips on the doors and rear hatch to see what kind of shape they are in. Sounds like there's more than just condensation so water must me sneaking it's way in from some access around the car.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Feb 2014 at 10:54 am.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 10:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Water in the cabin!

You might find something to help figure out your problem in this thread:
Water leaking onto floorboard drivers side

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolieCruiser View Post
I'm from central IL. We had some terrible storms last night, high winds, lots and lots of rain so it was a test for the car. No wet floorboards! Yea! It was that accordion hose that goes from the door into the car that had popped out of the car side and was showing wire down in that hole. They put the end back end and sealed it. They used a hose yesterday to see if that was it before they put the end back in and the carpet started getting damp. Afterwards nothing and last night nothing! So I'm a happy camper now!
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Last edited by randyincctx; 16 Feb 2014 at 10:55 am.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 10:53 am
Young Cruiser

Aha. So there's no way that's responsible for water getting into the cabin then?
Old 16 Feb 2014, 10:58 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
You might find something to help figure out your problem in this thread:
Water leaking onto floorboard drivers side
Thanks I'll give that a read - cabin filter eh...mmm I wonder if I have one of those. On a previous VW MPV I had the cabin got water in through the cabin filter air intake when parked facing uphill and rain was heavy enough not to allow it to drain way quick enough...be interesting to know if the PT has a similar issue?
Old 16 Feb 2014, 11:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPunk View Post
cabin filter eh...mmm I wonder if I have one of those.
That's on the passenger side,and probably not responsible for your leak....Also from what I have learned,just about all UK/Euro-PT Cruisers came stock with a cabin filter(check/or replace every 12 months/or 12,000 miles).
As for your leak,check that 'accordion/bellows' tube that is inside the door jamb,and make sure both ends are snug & secure.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks.

I checked the drains under the hood and they're flowing well.

I cleaned the rubber seal that runs forwards along the roof line down the A pillar - was a bit grubby. Then I popped off the two little grommets that hold the end down - they were a little loose so I used some silicon to seal them in the holes in the pillar nicely.

I checked the bellows and it was snug.

The screws holding down the cowl don't unscrew. I don't want to force them. Are they popped in?
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From a search....

When removing the cowl covers, the Phillips screws appear to have black washers under them. These "washers" are actually anchors which spread when the screws are in. After the screws are out, they must be pried out using a screwdriver or something.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPunk View Post
The screws holding down the cowl don't unscrew. I don't want to force them. Are they popped in?
The plastic retainers/screws need to be screwed out,but can be pushed/popped back in....Heres what they actually look like: 15 Chrysler Cowl Screen Attachment Push Type Clips | eBay

Here's a video showing how to install/check the cabin air filter(Note: video is for US model,UK model is just reversed):

Old 16 Feb 2014, 01:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys - I tried to unscrew them but they won't extract. Now that i know what they are exactly I'll get them out and see what I can find under there.