PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlamp replacement (choice)

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2014, 08:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Headlamp replacement (choice)

Ok; there's Silverstar; Hellas; and a bevy of other mfrs out there.

I am looking for the BRIGHTEST light and would install Hella 100w lamps in a second; I have NO ISSUE they are <ahem> illegal...so what do y'all believe is the best bet for headlamps? (brand and wattage) Of course an aftermarket H.I.D. is also an option but NOT NOW.

kctobyjoe
Old 19 Feb 2014, 08:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Headlamp replacement (choice)

I would just put stock replacement Sylvania, GE, Philps repalcements, avoid the fancy flash cubes, don't put over wattage bulbs in unless you like overheating the sockets.

BTW, if you want more lumens from the bulbs, with the fancy ones, you trade life big time on the bulb.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 19 Feb 2014, 09:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Philips 9012 HIR2. With a small mod, it will fit in your 9005 socket and is twice as bright and comes fairly close to an HID.

Pair Philips 9012LL HIR2 ll Bulb 12V 55W Stock Color Compatible Head Light | eBay

And to help maintain your cultivated "outlaw" persona, these are illegal in some states and by federal DOT unless a glare shield is installed. And the PT's headlight assembly has no glare shield. So unmodified, you can blind oncoming traffic just like HID's.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Feb 2014 at 09:04 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 12:44 am
Senior Cruiser

kc; be aware that you can be pulled over by the law [going in the opposite direction -- unseen at night] and if he wants, he can have your car towed because HE deems it unsafe for the road and then writes up a ticket for a full inspection needed!

Also, you understand that the vehicle you are blinding could be twice your weight!!!!! ----- Low headlight position on a vehicle at night is a sign of weakness, so there is less reason for the truck to slow down!
Old 22 Feb 2014, 08:30 am
Regular Cruiser

I live in PA; no idea what state you are referring to; they are more apt at puling U over for a bulb OUTAGE; YOU should NOT BE STUPID ENOUGH to position your headlights improperly regardless. IMHO even tho they are LEGAL I'd expect an HID guy be pulled over before someone who has a 100W bulb ALLEGEDLY in the cars socket. ALSO it depends GREATLY on your attitude if U should encounter a state trooper in PA; at least that is MY experience. COCKY...you're done. complacent etc you are generally ok and off with a 'warning'

My $.02
I want BRIGHT LIGHT; I want HIGH VISIBILITY NOT murkiness...
Old 22 Feb 2014, 08:57 am
Cool Cruiser

I'd go for Sylvania Silverstar Ultra.
garkeller likes this.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 10:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I went for the Sylvania Silverstar for the low beams. Whiter and brighter than OEM. In fact it made the fog lights seems yellow in comparison so went out and bought the Sylvania's for those too.
harrym and garkeller like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 11:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctobyjoe View Post
I live in PA; no idea what state you are referring to; they are more apt at puling U over for a bulb OUTAGE; YOU should NOT BE STUPID ENOUGH to position your headlights improperly regardless. IMHO even tho they are LEGAL I'd expect an HID guy be pulled over before someone who has a 100W bulb ALLEGEDLY in the cars socket. ALSO it depends GREATLY on your attitude if U should encounter a state trooper in PA; at least that is MY experience. COCKY...you're done. complacent etc you are generally ok and off with a 'warning'

My $.02
I want BRIGHT LIGHT; I want HIGH VISIBILITY NOT murkiness...
I used to like to live free and dangerously. But after enough fines, pain and death of others I know, I've learned to live more cautiously and happily with a little less free will and bright headlights.

PS: I have a mod rattling around in my head where I cover the tips of a set of 9012 HIR2 bulbs with header paint. That would give them glare shields just like the OEM 9005 bulbs. In my reading of my State statutes, I believe that would make them 100% legal since the 9012 is already DOD approved as long as glare shield are installed. Federal law is more murky and technically appears to allow nothing but manufacturer approved bulbs. So technically, even the Phillips Silver Star are likely a violation unless Chrysler specifically approved them for the PT Cruiser. But almost no one enforces the Federal regulation on headlights. State and local law enforcement is the current issue. It is likely that CREWZIN knows much more about this since his day job is in local law enforcement. Of course, his police cruiser is a Ford Taurus rather than a Charger, so that does make his wisdom suspect in my book.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Feb 2014 at 11:44 am.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 01:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

You already have the ability of using more powerful headlights. They are called "high beams". All cars have them. They are for projecting more light ahead into your direction of travel..... WHEN THE ROAD IS CLEAR AND FREE OF TRAFFIC. Any increase in light output above the factory amount is also perceived as an increase in the eyes of the other drivers on the road. This is a very basic law of physics. Just because someone doesn't flash their highs at you doesn't mean that you aren't a dirty neighbor, affecting other peoples night vision with your over the top glare. There are some upgraded headlights available on new cars, usually on the higher priced models. They are well engineered to tightly control the light beam and keep it down on the pavement where it belongs. Those light systems cost at least $1000 or more, not $50 or $150 on eBay. New car dealer will slap all types of items on cars to pad their profits but one thing their lawyers won't allow them to slap on is high voltage bulbs or HID kits because of liability and legal reasons.

I have a little story for you that I won't say is true or not true. I won't say that I know the parties or their names or not, either. It seems there was this one car owner who put some much brighter bulbs of some type in his headlights, maybe because he didn't get enough attention when he was growing up or maybe because he was just a jerk and didn't care if his headlights were offensive to others just so long as he could see better. One night as he driving along, oblivious to the nuisance he was to surrounding traffic, he didn't notice a certain car from the opposite direction turn around to follow him. It turned out a restaurant in town was his destination. I hope the company was pleasant, the conversation was good, the steak was perfect and the wine was tasty, because his night was going to end on a down note. I won't say exactly how but something about those high power bulbs caused both of his headlights to be totally shattered when he returned to the dark parking lot.

Now I like stories with happy endings. Endings where the bad guy gets his just deserts. I'm not sad when the cops ticket a neighbor for loud music at 2:00 AM in the morning. I'm not sad if that neighbor's dog that barks all night happens to die. I like it when child molesters get caught. I don't think anyone should be able to do anything that they want just because it pleases them and they don't care if it is an offence to others. Karma is a b***h sometimes.
pt06 likes this.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Feb 2014 at 02:13 pm. Reason: Family forum
Old 22 Feb 2014, 04:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Headlamp replacement (choice)

You can also consider using Xenon/Quartz bulbs for better illumination,no modification,and not as many legal,or 'personal' issues(revenge for blinding someone!lol).......
GP Thunder 8500K Xenon Bulbs in 55W & 65W:
Authentic GP Thunder II 8500K 9005XS 9006xs Xenon Light Bulbs | eBay
garkeller likes this.