PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 timing belt replaced

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2014, 05:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 timing belt replaced

I have 2001 pt cruiser that I purchased from my father in law in 2004 with 48,000 miles. He purchased it new so I am the second owner. I recently purchased a gates timing belt kit with water pump, tensioner, and idler pulley due to the fact that I was close to 100,000 miles. Well the belt broke at 98,500. Not too bad for a 13 year old car. I literally ran the 2 miles home and picked up my jeep to tow it home. The belt wrapped around the crank gear and broke the bottom timing cover so I had to get a new one. Being close to 100,000 miles I figured I would also replace the control arms, tierods, swaybar bushings, thermostat and coolant.

Over the last week I was able to replace all front end components, and the timing belt, alt belt and serpentine belt. I just wanted to say thanks to this site for all the valuable information. It made all of this much easier.

Front end components were replaced with moog parts and took 2.5 hrs to do.

Timing belt, water pump, belts, tstat, coolant, and front brake pads took 10 hrs total.

Total cost under 500 bucks plus another 500 for tires and an alignment. Not too bad considering labor alone would have been 2,000- 3,000 for all work done.
Moog front end components.
Gates Belts-timing, Alt, and serpentine
All repairs and service done by me.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 timing belt replaced

Your our kind of people. Great job.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Feb 2014, 06:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Your our kind of people. Great job.
Like he said!!!!!
Welcome from the west.
sanatanadharma when you are no longer posting in stealth mode and make the availability for PMs then welcome , join and participate on this forum as a supporting member. Until then your responses in most threads will be temporarily removed.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Great job!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was alot of work but now I got a pt cruiser good for another 98,500 miles. It really is like new with the suspension and tires.

I couldnt have done it without this site and the info it provides.

Also I got lucky and got the timing right on the first try. I was worried where the old belt had snapped or more accurately shredded itself to pieces.
Moog front end components.
Gates Belts-timing, Alt, and serpentine
All repairs and service done by me.

Last edited by Quits; 20 Feb 2014 at 08:47 pm. Reason: Adding
Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2001 timing belt replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quits View Post

Also I got lucky and got the timing right on the first try.
With all the collective info (old & new) on this site,a little luck never hurts also.
cruserdad1976 and Quits like this.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quits View Post
It was alot of work but now I got a pt cruiser good for another 98,500 miles. It really is like new with the suspension and tires.

Also I got lucky and got the timing right on the first try. I was worried where the old belt had snapped or more accurately shredded itself to pieces.
When I did the one on the how to thread. It lined up perfect. I read that it would be a tad off. So I did it again and it just keep being perfect. So I decided that I would have to live with it.
Quits likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 08 Apr 2014, 06:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

You sure were lucky to have the belt break (if it HAD to break!) so close to home. I may have missed past threads but I just wanted to know if you (or anyone) can tell me how I check to see how the timing belt's doing? My '05 has 82,000 miles on it but think I may be good for a little while yet, but how do I find out the current condition of it to try to make sure I have it done in time? I planned on doing it some time between 90,000 and 100,000 miles. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08 Apr 2014, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
You sure were lucky to have the belt break (if it HAD to break!) so close to home. I may have missed past threads but I just wanted to know if you (or anyone) can tell me how I check to see how the timing belt's doing? My '05 has 82,000 miles on it but think I may be good for a little while yet, but how do I find out the current condition of it to try to make sure I have it done in time? I planned on doing it some time between 90,000 and 100,000 miles. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
You can remove top cover. But it can be hard to tell by looking. Unless it looks really bad. Soory I'm not much help.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com