Advertisements
Klunk from rear

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2014, 02:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Clunk from rear

I have a 06 PT Cruiser for about 8 months now and have been hearing a clunking sound from the rear when hitting small bumps. Think I found it. If I tap the EVAP canister and valve bracket it makes a clunking sound. It looks all OK but is there a fix. Do I need a new bracket or is there a rubber mount I'm missing?

Thanks!!
Mike

Last edited by wb2kki; 09 Mar 2014 at 05:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 24 Feb 2014, 10:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Klunk from rear

Are you sure it's not your watts link/bell crank?......Because that is the most common reason for a 'klunk in the rear'.
To check it thoroughly,remove the spare tire,then push and pull on the rods,watch for unusual movement,and listen for any klunk/thunk sounds.
You might also the exhaust system,while your under there,and make sure it's not the source either.
pluminator likes this.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 07:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Post Re: Klunk from rear

As soon as the weather breaks I will check that. I did check the exhaust seems OK. At that time will try to get a better look at the EVAP bracket. Many thanks for the input.
Old 09 Mar 2014, 05:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Klunk from rear

I took advantage of the milder weather this weekend and checked the front and rear suspension. The bell crank looks fine as well as the rest of the suspension. I did find that the ball joints looked dry as I thought they were maintenance free. Turns out they are not. The nipples were clogged and I replaced them and greased them. The car seems quieter now but still hear that clunk or rattle. I saw on the Jeep group someone had the same problem with the EVAP canister and used a piece of rubber and the noise went away. Guess I'll try that.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 05:20 am
Young Cruiser

Did you get this fixed? My '05 has the same thing, small bump makes it sound like something is loose in the rear. I had already replaced the watts link, tie rods that go to the watts link and the rear shocks prior to this issue. I other day I stopped to tie my shoe and when I put my foot on top of the left rear tire I could feel something loose. If I push on the top edge of the tire you could feel/hear the noise. I jacked it up and found the rear hub assembly bearing had some play in it. I replaced it and got rid of most of the problem, the other side needs replaced as well, but its not quite as bad, I just added some grease to the outer bearing and replaced ( A grease gun needle helps). Will change it when the weather decides to not be so dog gone cold....
It only takes about 15 minutes to replace. If you have rear drums as I do, its a good time to inspect and adjust the rear brakes as well.
Old 10 Mar 2014, 07:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had the same type of rattle,(and it seemed to be worse while braking when the car was nose diving), went through the watts and such. Ended up replacing the driver side lateral link...................still rattled.

I decided to replace the sway bar link bushings,even though they "looked" fine ........................ wala! no more rattle.

That was only the driver side too, I was attempting both, but I snapped the mounting bolt and had to drill and tap it out, so be careful while doing so.

I still have an occasional creak in the rear of the car, but I think when I get a chance to replace the passenger side, it should alleviate that
(I hope).
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 06 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Turned out ($700 later) I found the front swaybar making noise. They looked OK but if you take a crowbar to it it had movement and klunked. I tried to replace it myself but the first bolt came out half way I tried to jiggle it a bit to free and it broke. Brought it to my mechanic he almost had to replace the subframe but got the other bolts out with the hot wrench. He also said the control are bushings were bad so had them replaced also. So much for my mechanical skills.
Old 08 Apr 2014, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Had same problem drove me nuts..drivers shock was shot replaced both and noise went away ..03 Pt Cruiser Limited still love the Pregnent Turrtile, but now she has a mate 2011 Chevy HHR LT haha lol bought it for myself...wife latched on to it don't think i'll get it back
Old 08 Apr 2014, 11:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: Klunk from rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubert1541 View Post
03 Pt Cruiser Limited still love the Pregnent Turrtile, but now she has a mate 2011 Chevy HHR LT
Both designed by Brian Nesmith.........

Last edited by randyincctx; 08 Apr 2014 at 11:11 pm.