PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 Cruiser ran yesterday won't start today

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 Cruiser ran yesterday won't start today

Drove it yesterday ran like a champ as usual. Went to start it this morning to warm it up (-10 cel) and it turned over but just wouldn't catch. I cranked it over about 15 times. I pressed the throttle to the floor and cranked it some more. It tried to start then I got a small backfire. This car normally starts flawlessly. Decided to put in a new battery since I had drained it down. While I was getting a battery I put a trickle charger on it. Tried to start it again on old battery with same results. Popped in the new one and still it just won't catch. The guy at Nappa said I could have fried the fuel pump relay so I bought a new one. I then realized this car has no fuel pump relay it is operated by the fuse panel behind the air cleaner. I opened that but could not find any fuse that operates the pump. What should I be checking at this point as the car ran perfect yesterday?

Wanted to remove the fuel line from the rail to confirm fuel flow, but I don't know how you get that black plastic connector off ... whats the trick? I would like to see if the pump is working and test the pressure with a guage. Don't want to have to drop the tank and purchase a new pump if it's not needed.
Old 25 Feb 2014, 09:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 06 Cruiser ran yesterday won't start today

Welcome to the forum!
Do you know when the last time your timing belt was replaced?
Hope it's not that
1974 Jeep DJ-5C (4.2/automatic/LH drive)
1973 Chevrolet Nova Sedan 350 (automatic)
Old 25 Feb 2014, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To garkeller

The Cruiser only has 70000 kms on it. Don't think it has ever been changed.
If it were the timing belt, why would it have run so well the day before. When I last turned it off it was smooth as silk, didn't cough or hic-up at all at shut down. Just plain wouldn't catch the next day.

It is as if the coils burnt out at that moment or the pump quit delivering fuel all of a sudden. There was no lead up to a problem.

I did spay starting fluid into the mass airflow but it still wouldn't catch. Don't want to drop the tank and replace the pump till I know its bad.

thank you for the feed back in any case,
Johnatwork
Old 25 Feb 2014, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm wondering if one of the many ground straps are the problem. Don't know which to check or how to check them easily cause it's darn cold in the driveway.

Johnatwork
Old 26 Feb 2014, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No error codes?
If you sprayed starting fluid in intake and didn't get at least a hiccup, then I'd look at spark.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quicksilverdon ... I just replaced the battery so all the codes would be gone I think.

I recently purchased an Autel Autolink AL419 scan tool. Still trying to understand how to use it properly. After changing the battery in the Cruiser, I connected the scan tool and checked the I/M readiness. It showed me that the monitors had not completed diagnostic checking.I then went into the "Diagnostic Menu" and clicked on "Read Codes" which took me to a screen with "Stored Codes, Pending Codes and Permanent Codes". As I opened each one it told me "No Codes Stored"

I will check the plugs today.
Johnatwork
Old 26 Feb 2014, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I pulled #1 plug today .... it was clean no black at all, a little damp with fuel but it had been turned over many times without firing.

I disconnected the fuel line from the rail, put the end in a plastic bottle , turned the key on and fuel came squirtin out like crazy. Have not figured out a way to test the pressure yet. Any advice???

I put the #1 plug in its wire and grounded the body, spun the engine and had great spark.

I opened the inspection hole on the timing cover, spun the engine and saw that both cams were turning so belt is not broken at least. Do not know how to tell if the belt might have jumped a cog though. Any advice??

After all that tried to start it. It would try but not catch enough to run. Sounded like a carbureted engine sounds when it has been flooded and you hold the throttle to the mat until it clears.

I am stumped. Any ideas I can move forward with????

Johnatwork
Old 26 Feb 2014, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Put a fresh set of plugs in and she should start.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Busted,
I was planning on new plugs anyway but I don't see how that will make her start since I had a really hot spark when I tested the #1 plug today.
Thank you for your input
Johnatwork
Old 27 Feb 2014, 07:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi again everyone,
Well I put in a new set of plugs today. Tried to start it and it almost caught. It just wouldn't quite get there.

As I have not figured out how to check the pressure coming from the pump I am totally stuck.

I hope one of you out there has some more suggestions as to what I can look for. Got fuel, got spark, new battery, cam shafts are turning.

Thank you all for your responces to date,
Johnatwork