PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Multifunction Switch - Help a newbie buy a replacement!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2014, 10:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Multifunction Switch - Help a newbie buy a replacement!

Today the fog light indicator came on and wouldn't stay off, which drained my battery. I believe the problem is with the multifunction switch and I'd like to replace it myself, but I know absolutely nothing about cars or car parts. The model number for my part is 04671870AB. Would I need to find that exact model for a part, or could a different model number possibly work?

Also, my husband doesn't want to buy one of the generic parts off ebay (from China) because he's afraid it would be a dud or may fail very quickly, but I can't find any name brand parts that are brand new. Any suggestions on what to buy (new/used) and from where would be appreciated!
Old 28 Feb 2014, 10:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Multifunction Switch - Help a newbie buy a replacement!

Got mine from Rock Auto for a whole $65 and installed it in 10 minutes.... Piece of cake .... Youtube has the how to .... all the best
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.

Last edited by Vlefaive; 28 Feb 2014 at 11:13 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
Got mine from Rock Auto for a whole $65 and installed it in 10 minutes.... Piece of cake .... Youtube has the how to .... all the best
Don't recall what I paid, but I think there was more than one switch offered - I got the cheapest one that had fog lights - Rock Auto is where I got mine, too...

When you take the old out - compare - there's a module you move to the new one - I didn't and had to take new one out a second time to add module from the old one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Multifunction Switch - Help a newbie buy a replacement!

Actually,depending on your husbands skill level,he might be able to repair/rebuild your existing MFS,and it might be stronger & better than even a new Mopar MFS.
It sure won't hurt to take it apart and see if he can easily fix it.

Here are some great MFS repair/rebuild threads:

How to Repair the Multifunction Switch w/ Pictures (Fog Lights)
MF switched repair
The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.

There's another thread about repairing the 'pull-tab/clicker' portion in the tip/end of the MFS that I can't seem to find....This is the 2nd time recently that I've tried to find it but can't!

Last edited by randyincctx; 28 Feb 2014 at 11:43 pm.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 01:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

I did see the post about repairing it myself, but my husband is super lazy and would rather pay someone else to do it (don't worry, his other awesome qualities totally make up for his laziness!). I don't want to spend hundreds extra to take it to the shop, so I'm just gonna buy it and install it myself.

I checked rock auto before I made this post and that's where I was having trouble. They have a few multifunction switches for the 2002 PT Cruiser, but none match my part number. Do I buy one with a different number or keep looking?
Old 01 Mar 2014, 07:07 am
Senior Cruiser

Since you are looking at third party vendors their part number won't match the factory part number. If in doubt you can always give Rock Auto a call.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
Since you are looking at third party vendors their part number won't match the factory part number. If in doubt you can always give Rock Auto a call.
Thank you very much, I'll go ahead and call them today!
randyincctx likes this.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 11:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Multifunction Switch - Help a newbie buy a replacement!

What do you plan on doing with your old one?......If you plan on throwing it in the trash,there may be some members here that might like to have it,and would gladly pay for all shipping costs.
Alot of members regularly give/hand down parts & such for free,the member that wants it just has to pay for shipping cost.

Things like that normally get listed in this thread:
PT Pass It On - PT Cruiser Forum
Pass on your new/used/unwanted PT Cruiser parts and accessories at NO COST (except for shipping).
TaupeCruiser likes this.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 03:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
What do you plan on doing with your old one?......If you plan on throwing it in the trash,there may be some members here that might like to have it,and would gladly pay for all shipping costs.
Alot of members regularly give/hand down parts & such for free,the member that wants it just has to pay for shipping cost.

Things like that normally get listed in this thread:
PT Pass It On - PT Cruiser Forum
Pass on your new/used/unwanted PT Cruiser parts and accessories at NO COST (except for shipping).

That's a very good idea, I'll definitely post my old one when we're through with it. Thanks for the tip, and thank all of you for the help. You've very likely saved us a good chunk of money and I really appreciate that!
randyincctx likes this.
Old 01 Mar 2014, 11:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Don't recall what I paid, but I think there was more than one switch offered - I got the cheapest one that had fog lights - Rock Auto is where I got mine, too...

When you take the old out - compare - there's a module you move to the new one - I didn't and had to take new one out a second time to add module from the old one.
Try Advanced Auto, they warrant the BWD part for life. Had to replace mine twice and I am on my third now, cost was 55ish. But wherever you get the part from get a lifetime guarantee and that is local.