Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 4 Post By soonercruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2014, 04:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlight access cover missing

Hello,

I just picked up a 2004 PT Cruiser, and had to replace the headlight bulbs. The access panel in the inner fender on the passenger side is missing, meaning all the road 'stuff' getting tossed around is splashing into the back of the headlight. Is this someting that I should be very concerned about? The light with the missnig panel still works fine, it's just really dirty, and wet.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 05:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Headlight access cover missing

Hello to you also. Welcome to the forum.
Yes, you ought to cover that hole. It may be hard to get the panel alone unless you have access to an auto salvage yard. The panel typically comes with the complete inner fender-liner.
I have seen (rarely) the panel on eBay and just checked this site; you can contact the owner and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leob1 View Post
Hello,

I just picked up a 2004 PT Cruiser, and had to replace the headlight bulbs. The access panel in the inner fender on the passenger side is missing, meaning all the road 'stuff' getting tossed around is splashing into the back of the headlight. Is this someting that I should be very concerned about? The light with the missnig panel still works fine, it's just really dirty, and wet.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 03 Mar 2014, 05:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Headlight access cover missing

Quote:
Is this someting that I should be very concerned about?
Personally,if it were me I would try to get a used one from a local salvage yard,or maybe Ebay.
I wouldn't want to take a chance of getting the electronics too wet,and it may also speed up corrosion of the inside fenderwell(Especially in areas were road salt is used).
Old 03 Mar 2014, 09:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Headlight access cover missing

Quote:
Hello,

Well, well, WELL!
I replaced both front, badly torn fender liners in the 2005 Dream Cruiser this past winter.
And, when I took out the old damaged ones, and unfortunately replaced with cheapie Asian knock-offs, guess what I thought about saving????
pm me if interested....will only charge shipping.
I thought that "someone" might be glad in the future if I did save them!

2011 GWE Dodge Challenger SRT8 as Show Car
2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 02 Jul 2014, 01:37 pm
Young Cruiser

took a while..but i finally able to remember to get here...
Seems like years since last i visited here.
Still got my 2003 pt cruiser.
has around 64K miles..mostly a weekend car (think i bought it when it had 54k in 2004)

Anyways...still looks good. even after a tree snapped in the yard and the shattered tree debris hit my side and left some minor dings and scratches..I was lucky i guess.....But my collision place did their best, but i can see the slight differences in paint (Gerber) the color is Steel Blue and had aftermarket parts trim.

Getting to the story....i was washing my car and noticed i was missing the left fender panel that protects the headlights...as the before mentioned post..i am concerned with dirt/water as i live on a gravel road too...it must of came off somewhere..
I looked on the web, to what i think is the correct part @ chryslerparts.net.
It says access cover left panel wheelhouse fender. Is this correct>???
I need the left driver's side. I also have the HID lights, so i dont wanna ruin them and theres a cable im worried about that may hang on the tire, i stuck back in there.
Old 03 Jul 2014, 02:50 pm
Young Cruiser

UPDATE: i went ahead and stopped by the Dodge/Chrysler dealer and asked for the part. Of course they had to order it, but having it by Saturday..so i went ahead and paid the 32-33 dollars for it.
Old 04 Jul 2014, 07:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
UPDATE: i went ahead and stopped by the Dodge/Chrysler dealer and asked for the part. Of course they had to order it, but having it by Saturday..so i went ahead and paid the 32-33 dollars for it.
Didn't you read what Soonercruiser posted??? He was offering you one for shipping - you just had to send him a private message....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:13 pm
Young Cruiser

I think I'll be adding some self tapping screws to both of mine on the '03 before I have to pay $30+ for a cheap piece of plastic. On my totaled '01 I used a piece of thin sheet metal from an old bent PT fender when 1 of them mysteriously vanished