Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2014, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Engine tripping and dying at LOW rpms

Hello,

I am new to posting on this site, but I have visited before with previous problems (and actually fixed a couple!) I am not a mechanic although I am proficient enough I could replace something if I know it needs replacing. In other words, I know enough to be extremely dangerous to myself and my pockets.

I bought a 2001 model PT Cruiser (3rd owner unfortunately) in July 2013, and have been spending too much money to get the car fixed up so there are no more problems. The car was in an accident to the passenger side (that was not reported), seems to have been relatively minor. Was going to have the brakes worked on and then repair / replace the passenger seat belt (which won't retract) but now I have another issue that I am going to have to take care of first, and I hope to provide enough detail here that someone will be able to let me know what the problem actually is.

When I am driving (speed limits always) down the road (highway or street) the car seems to be stubbing it's toes, like the engine died for a half second and then continues. Kinda rough on my innards. When I am at a stop, such as a light the engine dies and cranks but won't start unless I turn off the ignition first, then will start fairly normally, maybe a couple seconds longer.

The issue is intermittent and does not always happen. And it started after I bought gas at a different gas station (Shell) than I usually do (Valero), although I believe this is just a coincidence.

Error codes are, and in this order (I doubt it makes a difference):
1684 - Driver 5 Line 4
0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
1391 - Wheel Speed Sensor 1 - G - Sensor Circuit Performance

BTW I got the code descriptions from skylight's post.

And BTW, the 0340 has almost always been on.

OK - That is about it, Thanks to you guys who are always helping the others out, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Last edited by GHampton; 12 Mar 2014 at 06:47 pm. Reason: Title Correction
Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: PT Engine tripping and dying at idle rpms

Dang,

I guess that either nobody knows enough about PT Cruisers to respond to this question, or.....

I'm not worth responding to since I'm not a 34-year old Swedish teacher or a SHOUTER, or.....

This question was posted in the wrong forum.

Be interesting to find out which is the correct reason.

Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hello and welcome...to be honest, this is the first i've seen of your post(s), so i'm thinking it may have posted during a busy time of multiple conversations and got buried
I'm by far not the best with all the new style systems with computerized cars, but I would take these codes as your main issues with the engine running poorly:
0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit
0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction
There's a 1/2 dozen guru's on here that will give you the exacts on those codes, so be patient and they should start replying with their thoughts to be sure
It may would've helped IF you were a 24 year old Swedish teacher though~
1974 Jeep DJ-5C (4.2/automatic/LH drive)
1973 Chevrolet Nova Sedan 350 (automatic)

Last edited by garkeller; 23 Mar 2014 at 12:54 pm.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Probably just posted at the wrong time, who knows. I didn't see your first post till just now.

A common problem for most PT's is the Camshaft Position Sensor. Since that code has always been on, how come you never changed the sensor, or checked the wiring or electrical connection?

That could be the source of all your problems. if you decide to change the sensor, first check all of the wiring harness from the sensor all the way round back of the engine to make sure there's no rubbing on the harness that would cause the wires to break/melt/come apart. Then check the electrical connection to see if it's a tight fit and snaps together into the sensor.

Replacing the sensor should be done with only a Chrysler/MOPAR part and not one from a parts store. Also, spend a couple bucks more and get a new target magnet that goes inside the hole where the sensor fits.

garkeller likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I to have no recollection of the post. But can tell you. If I choose the new post button and do not get to them all. after a period of time passes and I click the new button again. The post that I haven't gotten to yet will be gone. Until a post by some one on a particular thread makes it new again. Wiring and sensor. Two 8mm bolts and a connector is all there is to it. The magnet is a rare item. Your call on that.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Probably just posted at the wrong time, who knows. I didn't see your first post till just now.
Hmm...OK. I guess that could have been it since so many people have commented on it.

Quote:
A common problem for most PT's is the Camshaft Position Sensor. Since that code has always been on, how come you never changed the sensor, or checked the wiring or electrical connection?
I never got around to it since it kept disappearing. One upon a time it is there, then maybe a couple weeks goes by with no codes at all. In fact, today there were no codes at all and no engine light. Go figure.

Quote:
That could be the source of all your problems. if you decide to change the sensor, first check all of the wiring harness from the sensor all the way round back of the engine to make sure there's no rubbing on the harness that would cause the wires to break/melt/come apart. Then check the electrical connection to see if it's a tight fit and snaps together into the sensor.

Replacing the sensor should be done with only a Chrysler/MOPAR part and not one from a parts store. Also, spend a couple bucks more and get a new target magnet that goes inside the hole where the sensor fits.
I have seen this reply from you several times, on quite a few of the posts that I viewed, but I did not think that it would apply to my issue, since it is kinda like the darn thing is backfiring. But I guess it could. OK - I will check out the wiring, then I will get the sensor replaced (with a genuine Chrysler/MOPAR part)

Since this issue is such a common one, I have a suggestion. Why not create a new sticky post and include this info (maybe two posts, one each for the wiring and sensor) along with a listing of issues that it would apply to. I think they would be very useful threads that could solve quite a few headaches ahead of time, especially the wiring. I mean a lot of the PT's are pretty old now.

Thanks to all of you who responded. And thank you Crewzin, not only for responding, but for taking care of all these poor, unfortunate, lost souls and bald people (I figure some of them must be by now since they are pulling all their hair out.)
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Creating more stickys seems to be a waste of time since most of them aren't read until they are pointed out. Even the ones that say read this first plus the forum rules and regulations. Most people don't even look around the forum and go to the Welcome New Members thread before they just log on and start asking questions.
GHampton likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 11:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Creating more stickys seems to be a waste of time since most of them aren't read until they are pointed out. Even the ones that say read this first plus the forum rules and regulations. Most people don't even look around the forum and go to the Welcome New Members thread before they just log on and start asking questions.
Uhhh...DOH! I keep forgetting about things like that.