PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
high-pitched whine from engine

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2014, 08:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Default high-pitched whine from engine

Hi folks! I have an '01 PT with almost 200K on it. Two months ago I noticed a strange noise coming from my engine compartment. I had recently replaced the water pump (the timing belt was replaced too) and thought the squeakity squeakity sound I was hearing might be a bad replacement pump. The squeak transitioned to a loud, high-pitched, constant whine. The whine sounds very similar to alternator whine you may hear coming through an amped car sound system. Like that whine, this sound increases in pitch as rpm increases. After tinkering around a bit, I isolated the noise to either the tensioner pulley, a/c, or power steering pump as the noise disappeared when that belt was removed.

Today I replaced the tensioner pulley. Whine is still there. I also noticed that the engine looked wet on that side. I checked the PS reservoir and it was very low so I added fluid to it. Unfortunately, the whine didn't go away. Would everyone agree that the PS pump is the culprit?

Thanks everyone!
Old 04 Mar 2014, 09:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: high-pitched whine from engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwags View Post
Hi folks! I have an '01 PT with almost 200K on it. Two months ago I noticed a strange noise coming from my engine compartment. I had recently replaced the water pump (the timing belt was replaced too) and thought the squeakity squeakity sound I was hearing might be a bad replacement pump. The squeak transitioned to a loud, high-pitched, constant whine. The whine sounds very similar to alternator whine you may hear coming through an amped car sound system. Like that whine, this sound increases in pitch as rpm increases. After tinkering around a bit, I isolated the noise to either the tensioner pulley, a/c, or power steering pump as the noise disappeared when that belt was removed.

Today I replaced the tensioner pulley. Whine is still there. I also noticed that the engine looked wet on that side. I checked the PS reservoir and it was very low so I added fluid to it. Unfortunately, the whine didn't go away. Would everyone agree that the PS pump is the culprit?

Thanks everyone!
What dose turning the wheel do to the noise?

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Mar 2014, 10:59 pm
Young Cruiser

Turning the wheel does nothing noticeable with the noise. It is there at idle (although not as loud) and gets louder and higher pitched as rpm increases. Also, turning on the A/c does not have an impact either.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwags View Post
Turning the wheel does nothing noticeable with the noise. It is there at idle (although not as loud) and gets louder and higher pitched as rpm increases. Also, turning on the A/c does not have an impact either.
In my opinion you just ruled out those as the culprit. With the pt running Spray wd or other on the belt to see if that changes any thing. This is temporary but will rule in or out the belt itself.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll try spraying some WD on the belt. What made me even think to check around pump was that I thought the sound sounded familiar. I remembered that I had heard a similar noise coming from the car when I would turn a sharp turn during the cold months while the engine was still cold. The high pitched buzz would stick with me for miles before fading away. Turns out the reservoir was low. I added fluid and the noise stopped immediately.

I'll post back once i spray on the WD. It would be nice if a simple belt switch did the trick!!
Old 05 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It very well could be the front alternator bearing. One or two others on this website have had their 2001 alternator start whining and so have I. Changing alternators is the solution to that one.

It could also be the tensioner pulley. If it is the AC pulley bearing, the tone will likely change when the AC is turned on. Also, my 2001 belt tensioner is weak and even with a new Gates belt, it still chirps if driving in a rainstorm. I've got a new tensioner but haven't installed it yet. WD40 should make a noise from a weak tensioner change.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 01:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I thought of the alternator too, but the culprit is tied to the belt that turns the a/c, tensioner pulley, or PS pump as when I removed that belt the noise disappeared completely.

The tensioner was replaced yesterday and the buzzing whine is still there, so that knocks it out.

I can put my ear right up to the a/c and the noise def. seems to be coming from higher up in the compartment. Also, I listened using a stethoscope on the a/c and it sounded very smooth.

I thought the PS pump b/c it is in the area where the noise is coming from plus there was a lot of fluid coming down across the engine from that area. Could the pump pulley bearings be going out?

Also, something that just popped into my head...the leaking fluid had dripped onto the belt. Wouldn't that provide lubrication as mentioned in the WD post? I cleaned the belt and it had no impact on the noise.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And Stethoscope on PS pump sounds like????

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:23 pm
Young Cruiser

I couldn't get the thing in there to listed to it. It wasn't long enough to go up from the bottom. I'll have to see if my dad's thinner hands and arms can go down from the top.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 07:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

For what it's worth, any high pitched whines in my case usually come from the passenger seat .
In which case I just drop her at either the mall or her mother's
malisa likes this.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.