PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 base pt just plain stopped running...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 04 base pt just plain stopped running...

So I've got an '04 5-speed base pt (pretty much no extras, no power locks or alarm either ), and it just flat out stopped working at a traffic light tonight. It was running perfectly fine like it always does, smooth ride, no engine roughness, and nothing even remotely signaling an impending issue aside from maybe needing new brake pads soon. I came to a stop at a light, got into neutral to wait the light, and I heard the engine shut down. But the instrument panel showed steady rpm still for about 5 seconds, before each gauge gradually shut down as well. Had plenty of battery power to run lights and everything, but when I tried to start it up again, absolutely nothing happened with regards to the engine (interior light and radio shut off like its supposed to when the key is in start), no clicking, not turning over, nothing. I checked to see of the clutch wasn't fully depressed, but the mat wasnt blocking the pedal.

I'm instantly thinking something wrong with the anti-theft, as it had been about 4 tenths of a mile since I had started the car,and even the AAA guy said it sounded like an electrical or anti theft issue, but then I realized that the car would at least start if that were the case, and then shut down a few seconds later (I think), so I'm not sure anymore. Anyone know what these symptoms might mean? I've got the car at a local auto place and they should call me in the morning, but first I'm going to try driving out early and bringing my spare key just to see if that changes anything. Its at a place I've never been to before (but it's AAA certified...whatever that means), and there is no Chrysler dealership for about 15 miles so towing it to a dealership is absolutely out of the question, so I wanted an opinion from the pt community about what the problem might be and how much it might cost if its worst case like PCM or something.

Edit: also, there's the red light in the dash between the temp and fuel, when I put the key into drive, it goes on for 3 secs, turns off, then turns back on...is that different from normal?

Last edited by dom92; 05 Mar 2014 at 02:28 am.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 04 base pt just plain stopped running...

Did you try to pull the codes with the stock OBD system?...If so;What codes?
Also;was your timing belt changed around 100,000 miles?
Old 05 Mar 2014, 03:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 04 base pt just plain stopped running...

Hi, thanks for responding! I tried the key trick to pull codes but it didn't work. Always have trouble managing to do it though, so there may be a code. I'll probably find out when the auto shop does the diagnostic.

Timing belt was changed three years ago at 80-85k miles or so. Its at 125k now so the timing belt should be good another 35-40k. Unless there was some damage or a premature failure I doubt the timing belt has anything to do with it.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:28 am
Regular Cruiser

Ok, I just got a call from the auto shop I left the car with, they said it was just a melted fuse, apparantly either I overloaded the accessory socket or there could be a fuel pump problem, since apparently they are both on the same fuse (?), and the fuse that melted was the same one that controls the ads relay, which caused the car to shut down and not run.

The shop said they ran the car for a half hour to make sure the problem was fixed,so I'll be picking it up soon, and hopefully it was just an overload and not a sign of issues to come.

Anyone else had similar experiences or knows anything else that might be up? The auto guy seemed knowledgeable and the place I have it at has generally good reviews, but nothing can replace the knowledge of a bunch of PT mechanics/owners.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 01:08 pm
Young Cruiser

Does your PT have the computer chipped key? That might of went haywire. I think the chipped one's are grey and the non chipped one's are black.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 01:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 04 base pt just plain stopped running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom92 View Post
Ok, I just got a call from the auto shop I left the car with, they said it was just a melted fuse, apparantly either I overloaded the accessory socket or there could be a fuel pump problem, since apparently they are both on the same fuse (?), and the fuse that melted was the same one that controls the ads relay, which caused the car to shut down and not run.
Yep....Sure enough,the #13 fuse in the PDC (under hood fuse box) is a 20A fuse,that controls the PCM/ASD Relay/Fuel Pump Relay & Module.
That's a good shop you went to,for them to only charge you for that work........Some other shops might have found that simple problem,and socked you for a new fuel pump,and maybe even a new PCM($$$);Keep them on your 'Go-To' list for sure!

Photos of PDC cover guide/fuses & locations:

PT_power_distribution_center_fuse_panel_cover.jpg

PT_Cruiser_PDC_Fuses.jpg(Pay no attention to fuse circled in blue,it's from another post)

That is odd for that fuse to blow like that....Keep a spare in case it happens again(that way your not stranded),But if it does happen again,there could be a ground fault/short in that circuit that needs to be checked thoroughly.
sanatanadharma and dom92 like this.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Yep....Sure enough,the #13 fuse in the PDC (under hood fuse box) is a 20A fuse,that controls the PCM/ASD Relay/Fuel Pump Relay & Module.
That's a good shop you went to,for them to only charge you for that work........Some other shops might have found that simple problem,and socked you for a new fuel pump,and maybe even a new PCM($$$);Keep them on your 'Go-To' list for sure!

Photos of PDC cover guide/fuses & locations:

Attachment 10407

Attachment 10408(Pay no attention to fuse circled in blue,it's from another post)

That is odd for that fuse to blow like that....Keep a spare in case it happens again(that way your not stranded),But if it does happen again,there could be a ground fault/short in that circuit that needs to be checked thoroughly.
Hi Randy, yes the fuse he showed me was a 20A one (and it was in pretty bad shape, completely melted through and broke into pieces when I picked it up from the counter). I was taking a closer look at that PDC table though and it appears the power outlets run on a different 20A fuse #20? Would that mean the mechanic's theory about an overloaded power socket might be incorrect, or does some power from the #13 fuse affect that as well/are they connected in some way?

Last edited by dom92; 05 Mar 2014 at 02:42 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom92 View Post
... apparently either I overloaded the accessory socket or there could be a fuel pump problem, since apparently they are both on the same fuse (?), ... but nothing can replace the knowledge of a bunch of PT mechanics/owners.
The car's power outlets (all three if equipped) are not on the PDC fuel pump circuit. They are fused by PDC #20.

Your bad fuse protects the fuel pump, PCM (and I suppose wherever the PCM distributes power), and the entire ignition system.

Keep the fuel level up in the tank. The fuel cools the immersed pump and thus pump electrical circuit draw.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 02:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanatanadharma View Post
The car's power outlets (all three if equipped) are not on the PDC fuel pump circuit. They are fused by PDC #20.

Your bad fuse protects the fuel pump, PCM (and I suppose wherever the PCM distributes power), and the entire ignition system.

Keep the fuel level up in the tank. The fuel cools the immersed pump and thus pump electrical circuit draw.
Hi,

What levels would you recommend? I currently refuel when I hit the 1/4 tank, but the car only takes 8 gallons at the pump until it's full instead of roughly 11, so either the fuel gauge is incorrect and I really have just under half a tank left, or the tank is not filling completely. If it's not filling correctly then it may be a partial reason why, but I have no idea how to figure out which it is.

Last edited by dom92; 05 Mar 2014 at 02:51 pm.