PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Full Synthetic oil and trans> pros and cons

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 04:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Full Synthetic oil and trans> pros and cons

OK I have a 2004 cruiser with 113K miles , just the basic , Thinking about changing the oil to Amsoil full synthetic in both the engine and the transmission , Id like to hear some input from the "Veteran Cruisers " out there any Pros or Cons would be a big help ... Thanks all ! {its been running just regular 10w30} any harm to switching to Full Synthetic?...........
Old 05 Mar 2014, 04:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Full Synthetic oil and trans> pros and cons

I'm a believer in full synthetic. Use Mobil 1 in the PT and Corvette and synthetic in both transmissions.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no "con" to full synthetic.
boonie2 likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 05 Mar 2014, 08:24 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie2 View Post
OK I have a 2004 cruiser with 113K miles , just the basic , Thinking about changing the oil to Amsoil full synthetic in both the engine and the transmission , Id like to hear some input from the "Veteran Cruisers " out there any Pros or Cons would be a big help ... Thanks all ! {its been running just regular 10w30} any harm to switching to Full Synthetic?...........
These are the top of the line AMSOIL products for your 2004 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L 4-cyl Engine Code [B]
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)

Manual Transmission,A578 (5-SPD)......AP4
All TEMPS......
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)

Automatic Transmission,41TE......AP4
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)

Automatic Transmission,40TE......AP4

[1] SAE 5W-30 is preferred.

[3] ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
FILTERS:
Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K51) [1]

Transmission Filter WIX 58934 Trans Filter

Pros:
- 15,000 severe service mile oil and filter change, up to 1 year.
- Double your ATF recommended change.
-Industry estimate is about 2% improvement in mpg for the engine oil, 2% for the ATF. Same for horsepower.
-Run cooler.
-No harm switching to synthetic, less harm than keeping conventional.
-AMSOIL offers an engine/transmission detergent flush. Just add a bottle to each, let idle for 20 minutes. Drain old fluids and change filters. Refill with AMSOIL and filters.
-I can get you wholesale prices on everything and ship to your door. Or you can pick up at the Orlando warehouse.

Cons: Will cost you a little more to purchase, but will save you money on less maintenance and better mpg.
boonie2 likes this.

Last edited by Gold2006; 05 Mar 2014 at 08:37 pm.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

I was romanced by synth a couple times now ( fool me twice ) and in each case it ended up " seeping " in several places ... Fool me Thrice ? I tried semi-synthetic last month and ...... doing it again ( although not as bad ) ........ Guys like Crewzin have had years to crawl around under theirs with a toothbrush and are less likely to suffer like the rest of us poor commoners who suffer a semi-neglected gasket and/or seal here and there.
I'm by no means alone.... but in your case ? why not give it a try....
PS : Crewzin earned his right to the flawless garage and PT.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:27 am
Cool Cruiser

If you are switching to synthetic and you have always been running conventional oil, it is a good idea to run synthetic blend first. Then off to synthetic and long oil change intervals.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:32 am
Cool Cruiser

If you are switching to synthetic and you have always been running conventional oil, it is a good idea to run synthetic blend first. Then off to synthetic and long oil change intervals. But you should be fine switching straight to synthetic too.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok so now our PT Cruisers are have an addition and they need rehab to change from none synthetic to synthetic motor oil?

Should we have an undercarriage beauty contest? I would enter my PT in that one!
I actually do clean it with old toothbrushes.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 06 Mar 2014, 07:36 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlefaive View Post
I was romanced by synth a couple times now ( fool me twice ) and in each case it ended up " seeping " in several places ... Fool me Thrice ? I tried semi-synthetic last month and ...... doing it again ( although not as bad ) ........ Guys like Crewzin have had years to crawl around under theirs with a toothbrush and are less likely to suffer like the rest of us poor commoners who suffer a semi-neglected gasket and/or seal here and there.
I'm by no means alone.... but in your case ? why not give it a try....
PS : Crewzin earned his right to the flawless garage and PT.
Sorry to hear about that. I know in the 1970's when synthetics came out, there was a seal compatibility issue that would cause this.

Now days, if your seals and gaskets are in good condition, seepage and and leaks will not occur with synthetics. In some cases conventional oil would leave a layer of varnish on older seals and gaskets, allowing them to dry out under the varnish, and would then crack. The superior cleaning of synthetics would then remove the varnish in the engine and the gaskets, allowing the synthetic to penetrate into the dried out cracks causing seepage. If your engine and gaskets are not in good condition, I do not recommend switching to synthetics.

If a leak does occur with synthetics, I recommend changing the leaking seal/gasket, or try a "High Mileage" oil. These are generally a little more viscous and contain additional seal swellers. They may also allow varnish to form and reseal the gasket as before.

I have been selling AMSOIL for 10 years to hundreds of customers and have not heard of this issue with our products. AMSOIL contains additional seal swellers to help prevent this. I myself have switched to AMSOIL in my 1984 Chevy, 1993 Ford, a 1997 Chevy and 2006 PT Cruiser without issues and they run better.
boonie2 likes this.

Last edited by Gold2006; 06 Mar 2014 at 07:48 am.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 07:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drturbo View Post
If you are switching to synthetic and you have always been running conventional oil, it is a good idea to run synthetic blend first. Then off to synthetic and long oil change intervals.
It is not necessary to run synthetic blend (which is only 10-30 petroleum synthetic) to 100% chemical synthetic AMSOIL. I also recommend using AMSOIL's engine flush if you feel your engine might be dirty to get the immediate benefits of AMSOIL. If it isn't flushed, AMSOIL recommends running the first oil change for 15,000 miles/1 year for engines over 100,000 miles before extending to 25,000 normal service miles/1 year.

Last edited by Gold2006; 06 Mar 2014 at 07:50 am.