PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Climbing a slight grade, air comes then stops when the vents after the car levels out

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sanatanadharma
  • 1 Post By Ptdave02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Climbing a slight grade, outside air come out of vents

This is related to the load on the engine (vacuum) I have noticed this on both of my 2002 pt cruisers ...I wonder if anyone else notices this with their car... It is outside air coming in almost like if you move the vent control to outside. I would love to finally have this issue solved

Last edited by Ptdave02; 05 Mar 2014 at 04:57 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Climbing a slight grade, outside air come out of vents

The control for selecting fresh-air or recirculated-air is vacuum controlled. When vacuum drops, it no longer holds the fresh air door closed.
Likely you need to remove the center console and check the vacuum harness behind the control. Also check this part of the system under the hood.
The small canister (bottom) near the brake booster has a thin vacuum line to the left passing through the firewall to the HVAC box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptdave02 View Post
This is related to the load on the engine (vacuum) I have noticed this on both of my 2002 pt cruisers ...I wonder if anyone else notices this with their car... It is outside air coming in almost like if you move the vent control to outside. I would love to finally have this issue solved
Ptdave02 likes this.
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Climbing a slight grade, air comes then stops when the vents after the car levels

Dave, welcome to the forum.

Please find the Welcome thread and introduce yourself to the forum. Tell us about yourself and the PT Cruiser you own.

To your question. If you had the A/C on when this happens to you, what is happening is that the computer shuts the A/C off when your needing more power to go up that slight grade. Almost all, If not all, cars do this to give more power to the engine. When the A/C is cut off, what you feeling is air that's not cooled by the A/C for that short amount of time you need the extra power to climb the grade. Once the extra power is not needed, the A/C cuts back in and the cold air comes back into the interior of the car.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2014, 12:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Climbing a slight grade, air comes then stops when the vents after the car levels

Thank you. This when the ac is shut off and the air selector is set to recirculate ... This happens on both 02 pts I own. I also have a dodge neon that does not have this issue.. I wonder if there is a vacuum leak or brake booster issue
Old 07 Mar 2014, 12:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptdave02 View Post

In addition let me introduce myself. I will post pictures later... I have a 02 pt white touring and a 02 brown pt limited. I love these cars. I live in Henderson, Nevada
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 28 May 2014, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unfortunately the problem was not there... I am wondering if there is a vacuum leak somewhere.. That would explain things.. Two of my 2002 PT cruisers did the exact same thing.. Outside air came in the cabin when getting on the fwy or climbing a hill... I hope someone can help me get past this issue.... I have a little Whine at the Fuel Pump...The Motor Idles a little rough when cold but runs good (Not Perfect) when Hot...
Old 28 May 2014, 06:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

you could take it in to have a vacuum test done. they use a smoke machine and it can be seen where the leak is.
Old 29 May 2014, 10:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Do most places have the ability to do this test?
Old 29 May 2014, 12:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would imagine so. easy enough to call and ask.