Advertisements
oil pump dry sumping.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By earthworm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default oil pump dry sumping.

Is there a way to prime the oil pump with out taking it out. maybe un screwing one of those meany allen screw plugs near the oil pan on the passenger side. think turbo oil hookups.
well any way this is why
Went out to lunch with 2 other friends and car bogged a bit cause were pretty heavy guys 200 - 250 any made a right turn straight into a steap upward driveway. no oil light or anything. when i was leaving work oil light stayed on after starting car. make long story short drove car home, didn't make it. cam froze.

So had new head put in, new oil pump, water pump belt ..........

and then after 1000 miles i take my friends out again for lunch, same thing happened again. left work started car oil light on engine noise so i turnjed it off and had it towed home.

so i replaced the sensor. and i want to make sure the oil pump is primed before i put the car back together and start it, ( taken apart to check timing belt and timing.)

so any ideas?
transmission funnel with bendable tube pore into one of those hoses?
take cam out and inject oil through the hole with a turkey baster
maybe buy a Oil Accumulator

and can you tell me how to fix what is causing it?
Old 05 Mar 2014, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: oil pump dry sumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksmoore View Post
Is there a way to prime the oil pump with out taking it out. maybe un screwing one of those meany allen screw plugs near the oil pan on the passenger side. think turbo oil hookups.
well any way this is why
Went out to lunch with 2 other friends and car bogged a bit cause were pretty heavy guys 200 - 250 any made a right turn straight into a steap upward driveway. no oil light or anything. when i was leaving work oil light stayed on after starting car. make long story short drove car home, didn't make it. cam froze.

So had new head put in, new oil pump, water pump belt ..........

and then after 1000 miles i take my friends out again for lunch, same thing happened again. left work started car oil light on engine noise so i turnjed it off and had it towed home.

so i replaced the sensor. and i want to make sure the oil pump is primed before i put the car back together and start it, ( taken apart to check timing belt and timing.)

so any ideas?
transmission funnel with bendable tube pore into one of those hoses?
take cam out and inject oil through the hole with a turkey baster
maybe buy a Oil Accumulator

and can you tell me how to fix what is causing it?
Take out the fuel pump relay and unplug the wire to the coil. You can then turn the motor over in short durations until the oil light goes out or to check with a mechanical oil gauge from the oil sensor hole for pressure.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 05 Mar 2014, 09:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You can pour oil down the oil pump relief valve on the 2.0 - It's in about the same place on the 2.4. (see photo)

I'm wondering why it's not priming- You don't hear alot of issues with these engine's lubrication system.

Old 06 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm wondering why it's not priming- You don't hear alot of issues with these engine's lubrication system.

I think in might of been the turn and into a up hill drive pulll the oil away from the pickup tube and it ended up sucking oil. adding the weight that was in the car probably didn't help. I told my coworkers im not driving them to lunch anymore.
Old 07 Mar 2014, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

where does the tube next to the check valve go to? i think there is a allen plug right next to that. on the back of the block.
Old 07 Mar 2014, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well i usally haul 500# of feed in the back of my PT each week and Im over200# myself

ID say it had to be pretty low on oil
5 quarts is way above the pick up tube
unless the pick up tube was pluged or something
but like uptown said we hardley ever hear anything about the oiling system on a PT
and mine has over 150,000 on her
Old 07 Mar 2014, 05:06 pm
Young Cruiser

Sir, you may have a "sludge monster" which causes the oil screen to be nearly covered in impenetrable burned oil..
Or, there are missing baffles inside the oil pan which are designed to prevent oil starvation
Or, for some strange reason, the oil pick-up tube is bent out of shape(much higher than it should be)..
Or, the oil level is too low and the dip stick is not reflecting this(defective dip stick)
These scenarios are unlikely, IMO....but, there must be a reason for this condition..
I think , its pulling the pan time.