Advertisements
Fuel gauge problems!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fuel gauge problems!

I'm new on here so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot! Anyway, I have a 2001 PT Cruiser Touring edition and my fuel gauge is majority off. I'll fill it up and even it will only read at 3/4 of a tank. It has even overflowed once (the pump will always click off like its full and I can normally get another gallon in there still) and it still says 3/4! What could possibly be the issue and what can I do to fix it?
any help is really appreciated!
Thank you!
Also, sorry if I'm posting something that has already been asked!
Old 05 Mar 2014, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel gauge problems!

Welcome to the forum,

When you get a chance, look up the WELCOM New Members thread and introduce yourself please.

As to your problem. Mine always clicks off several times before it gets filled and only shows about 3/4 of a tanks but in a little while the needle will go to the full mark. Hopefully your does to. When it was looked into, it's something to do with the way the tank, fuel neck and upper pipe all come together that makes the air come back up towards the pump and shut it off. It should help if you go slow when filling but most people are in too much of a hurry to wait around. Also I believe sometimes it depends on where yo fill it up. If you mostly fill at a certain station, try a different one to see if that helps.

If it's really bad, I think I've read where some owners have found that one of the pipes were bent not letting the air out properly as you filled the tank.
garkeller and kbaum07 like this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 09:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Fuel gauge problems!

Hi kbaum07! I also have an 01 with the same problem. I noticed my gauge was off last winter. I filled up the car and the gauge only went up a little past 3/4. Ever since, no matter where I fill up, the gauge only goes up to the same point. At the time, I thought I remember seeing some posts mentioning a sensor acting up.
Old 06 Mar 2014, 10:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Fuel gauge problems!

The 'auto-shutoff' (or back-pressure sensor) on fuel pumps varies from MFGs,and service technicians that set them......One tip that may help is to not insert the nozzle all the way into the filler neck,that way it allows more air pressure to escape(even newer ones w/boots).
Your fuel gauge problem may be the actual fuel level sensor/float level arm,which is unfortunately located in the tank,and is integrated into the fuel pump module.

Tags
fuel, gauge