Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine Stalled, Bucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2014, 07:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Engine Stalled, Bucks

We got a CRV in January so now I drive Petey to work Today it was about 5 degrees in the 'Burgh, but it's been much colder. I leave work and get to a busy intersection about 1/4 into my drive and the engine bucks and then stalls. I managed to get it to start after a couple attempts and continued my drive. About another 2 miles down the road at another light, the bucking starts again but no stalling. At a stop sign a few miles down the road, I hear a fast knocking sound - it wasn't a piston, it was much faster. I managed to make it home... checked my fluids and coolant needs topped off but nothing major.

The kicker - no p codes I'd rather have a problem with 20 p codes than a problem with 0 p codes... I guess.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 13 Mar 2014, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine Stalled, Bucks

I got nothing!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2014, 07:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might be weather related. Throw in a couple cans of de-icer. You may have some water in the tank and it's getting into the lines and freezing. The knocking sound could be that some of the water got past the injectors and it's messing with the air/fuel mixture and your getting pre-ignition knock. I may not be saying that right but sounds like what happened to my Dodge Dart when water got up to the fuel filter and froze up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Mar 2014 at 07:56 pm.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 07:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Did the check engine light come on? Mine did this the other day and the check engine light came on but doing the key dance showed no codes. I hooked my code reader up to it and it showed P0340 which is the camshaft position sensor. Replaced it and no more issues.
Old 14 Mar 2014, 10:18 am
Regular Cruiser

A misfire in my Porsche Cayenne causes it to bucks and stalls. It at least gives me a code of misfire on CYL 6, and Camshaft position sensor Over Advanced. I had to replace a coil to fix it. I think it may be coil, plugs or wires related. Fast noise may be the timing belt that skipped a tooth or ripped an edge off the belt and is banging against the cover.
Good luck and keep us posted.