PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Heat/AC vent knobs question!?!?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2014, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Heat/AC vent knobs question!?!?!?

I pulled off the little knob that alows you to cut the vent airflow off but I cannot for the life of me get the thing back on anyone ever have this problem? Or any advice to get it back on?
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Heat/AC vent knobs question!?!?!?

Yes!
I encountered this several times in painting the center bezel and passenger air bag cover in the 2005 Dream Cruiser.
When I took them off to paint, I made sure to put them back on before reinstalling the painted bezels into the dash.
'Cause it's a PITA to get the knobs on afterwards.

The problem is that the tube-like knob not only needs to slide over the central pin...
But the edges of the hollow knob tube also need to slide under the finger like projections of the circular connector that is itself snapped into the hole in the vent face itself (swivels around). Simply pushing the knob inwards accomplishes getting the knob tube over the central pin. But, pushing inwards also squeezes the connector fingers inwards, squeezing them closer together, thus blocking the tube from snapping in place.

Even when I reinstalled the knob holding the parts in my hand, I had to use a needle nose pliar to push the control rod for the vent outwards, while snapping the knob inwards towards the vent. This prevents the fingers in the swivel connector from squeezing together.

#1 - I would suggest a little Vaseline or light oil on the edges of the knob tube.
#2 - Use a light/flashlight and look inside the vent to see the rod that comes out to the swivel connector in the face of the vent.
Can you see it, and get a small pair of needle nose pliars or hemostat to pull outwards on that rod, as you push the knob inwards?

* I only got lucky on about 1 out of 4 by simply pushing the knob in, without having outwards pressure on the rod....and that was with a little lubrication on the edges of the knob end.

Good luck.

and ...QuickSilver 2.....the 2010 Couture Edition.
And....The 2005 Dream Cruiser Convertible....."My Chocolate Covered Cruiser".
Have now owned 4 PT Cruisers = fickle!.
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Heat/AC vent knobs question!?!?!?

So you already had the vents out? Mine are still in dash that might cause a problem