• 1 Post By boonie2
  • 1 Post By Busa_Powered
  • 1 Post By rasetsu99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Light - A little more complicated

Hey all,

First I want to thank you for any help and information you can provide.

I purchased an 04 PT Cruiser Touring / Turbo Lite 3 weeks ago. The car has 84k miles on it. I purchased it from a Nissan dealership, and when I purchased it, I noticed a small leak coming from one of the radiator hoses, and in the negotiations, I had them put "repair all leaks" in the due bill. So I took the car in to be repaired and the mechanic (I talked to him when I picked up the car) said he replaced the hose, but he also found a leak coming from one of the turbo oil lines (it was missing a gasket), and he said he also replaced the PVC valve.

I had driven the car about 100 miles prior to taking the car in. When I got the car back, about 50 miles later the engine oil light would come on and beep, and turn off etc. So I did my research on here, and replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor with Morpar part #05149098AA -001 (Please let me know if I used the wrong sensor). When I was pulling off the sensor, I could see that it was leaking oil. At the same time, I replaced the oil with a little over 5qts of 5w30 Mobil 1 Syn.

I drove the car for about another 100 miles and everything was good until today. When I started the car, there were no beeps like the previous time, but rather the oil light was solid. If I turn the car off and back on the light turns off. However, if I drive with the light on, it does not turn off. Previously, the light would turn off as the RPMS went up.

Some other things I noticed are: prior to replacing the sensor, when I would start the car, it would start hard. It would take 2 key turns or I would have to prime the systems by turning the ignition on without starting the car. If I primed, it would fire right up. When I fixed the sensors, the car would fire right up without any priming. Now that the light is back on, the car starts hard again.

I assume my next step is to test the oil pressure mechanically. If this is the next step, does anyone have a DIY, or Video, or something I can reference. I am mechanically inclined, and have been working on cars for about 15 years as a DIYer. I just need to see/read/ watch someone do it first.

Is there anything else I should be checking / doing? Could it be the sensor wire?

Also, I looked at the service the Nissan dealership did the car prior to putting it on the lot, and one of the things was they replaced the oil and put on Oil Filter PLB3614 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA08C0HR8956). It looks like some generic oil filter. Could this be causing an oil pressure issue?

Now that I think of it, I didn't clean the connectors prior to reconnecting the sensor. Could this be causing the issue?

Thanks again for any help.

Last edited by rasetsu99; 18 Mar 2014 at 11:39 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 12:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Light - A little more complicated

So I just found the PT cruiser repair manual on here, and I read through the 2.4L portion on how to do an oil pressure test. So the Gauge just screws into the same place as the oil pressure sensor? Please let me know if I am incorrect.

Also, please let me know what else I should check / test at the same time. I'm going to go to Autozone and rent a oil pressure gauge tomorrow.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 01:23 am
Banned

I don't know about your issue, I can only offer some advice

Maybe for future reference, have it fixed before you buy.

My wives pt cruiser had issues with the fan and front end.

The dealer put 1700 dollars in pears and labor, we drove it, looked it over again and bought it. The dealer gave us a 3 week/500 mile warranty that they give all used cars.

Never buy until it's fixed
Old 19 Mar 2014, 01:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Busa, that's good advice, however it doesn't apply to this situation since the oil light didn't come on until 3 weeks 200 miles later, including the 50 mile test drive I did. The only thing I found at the time of my personal inspection was the hose leak, which I had them fix.

I normally don't buy anything but CPO'ed cars, but I needed another cheap beater car and this fit the bill. The car was in really good shape, and almost anything that needs to be fixed, I can do by myself or with the help of a buddy or 2. All I am asking is for someone who has experienced this, to point me in the right direction of inspection / testing instead of me testing / inspecting everything.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 09:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

The dealer put 1700 dollars in pears and labor, we drove it, looked it over again and bought it. The dealer gave us a 3 week/500 mile warranty that they give all used cars.

Ha I bet you got a belly ache! Or did we have a spelling malfunction?

Ok, if the light is coming on at the hit of the key. It's not an oil pressure issue. I have one that has this happen on rare occasions. But starts fine. I suspect its a communication error with the pcm on startup. Or something to do with the ignition switch. But your's has to low miles for the switch. So I'm thinking Pull the battery cables and reseat the pcm connectors. Push them on and off a couple of times . This is like removing the pc board in the old computers to get a better connection. Can't hurt. I got a remain computor. So I think it came with it on mine. JMTC

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 19 Mar 2014, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post

HOW did you fit $1700 worth of pears in your PT
Old 19 Mar 2014, 04:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

We did away with $1700 worth of green beers on Monday at my club, is that the same thing ?.. As for oil lights, I just got a flashback of my old man using a thumbnail length of black electrical tape to cure any warning light issues.. worked for him, but I don't believe even Crewzin could get away with that.
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 05:15 pm
Banned

Haha guess I deserve that!

Glad to see people reading my posts though lol

Pears lol
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 02:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick update in case someone else has the same issue in the future. It was a connector issue. There was some oil on the connector to the sensor from the install. I just cleaned it up, and the car has been good ever since.
Old 17 Apr 2014, 08:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasetsu99 View Post
Just a quick update in case someone else has the same issue in the future. It was a connector issue. There was some oil on the connector to the sensor from the install. I just cleaned it up, and the car has been good ever since.
That's good. Thanks for the update.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com