Advertisements
Random Temperature Gauge and Heating Problem

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2014, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Random Temperature Gauge and Heating Problem

Hi everybody!
This is my first post here and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what's going on with my '01 Cruiser. Yesterday on my way home from work I noticed that my temperature gauge stopped working completely. It was a 20 minute ride and the needle was stuck on cold and didn't move at all. I also noticed that the heat wasn't working right as well, putting out about 75% less heat than normal.
So, today when I went out to do errands, the heat was still weak but the temperature gauge started moving a little and eventually landed on the middle line, but only when I was sitting still. When I started driving on the highway it went all the way back down to cold.
All the fluid levels are fine, everything else is running normally and I'm not getting any error codes. Could this be an electrical issue, maybe something to do with the battery? Are the issues with the heat and the gauge related or just just coincidences? This is all very puzzling.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Random Temperature Gauge and Heating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
Hi everybody!
This is my first post here and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what's going on with my '01 Cruiser. Yesterday on my way home from work I noticed that my temperature gauge stopped working completely. It was a 20 minute ride and the needle was stuck on cold and didn't move at all. I also noticed that the heat wasn't working right as well, putting out about 75% less heat than normal.
So, today when I went out to do errands, the heat was still weak but the temperature gauge started moving a little and eventually landed on the middle line, but only when I was sitting still. When I started driving on the highway it went all the way back down to cold.
All the fluid levels are fine, everything else is running normally and I'm not getting any error codes. Could this be an electrical issue, maybe something to do with the battery? Are the issues with the heat and the gauge related or just just coincidences? This is all very puzzling.
Replace your thermostat.
randyincctx likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 24 Mar 2014, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply. Any idea of what mechanics usually charge for a thermostat replacement? I would do it myself but the whole bleeding the coolant system thing makes me nervous. I know it's a pretty cheap part and takes about 20-30 minutes, so I'm hoping it's only around $100.
Old 24 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Random Temperature Gauge and Heating Problem

If getting someone to do the work for you;You might want to call several different shops,and see who has the best price.......Also be sure to check them out BBB.org,and see who has the better rating,this step alone can sometimes save you alot of aggravation,and money too!
Old 25 Mar 2014, 09:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
If getting someone to do the work for you;You might want to call several different shops,and see who has the best price.......Also be sure to check them out BBB.org,and see who has the better rating,this step alone can sometimes save you alot of aggravation,and money too!
Randy in case you or others do not know this...if you as a business dop not belong to the (BBB) Better Business Bureau then you will not see any information about a company or shop.

SODA you can check with your area Craigslist under auto service and might find a reasonably priced shop?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Mar 2014, 09:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Besides the whole bleeding thing isn't all that big of deal. Especially if your not low or empty. This is an easy job. Just get a regular thermostat and the seal. You should be good to go.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the info guys. I called a repair shop this morning and they want $230 to replace it. That's enough motivation to make me want to attempt this myself.
Busted, I'm just clarifying, are you saying that I wouldn't have to bleed the system since I have enough coolant in there?
Old 25 Mar 2014, 10:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you take your time topping off . Most likely no. Spray the bleeder with penetrant oil before you start just in case. It's right there on the lower part of the housing. Not a big deal. It's not rocket science.

This Is my project page.

badglas.blogspot.com
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The bleeding with PT Cruisers from DIYr's is not as apparent an issue as many regard. If it had been then factory service manuals would have advised cautions or warnings about the procedures needing to do it. I looked at the Haynes manual and there is no EXTRA information regarding bleeding the coolant system. Forums are a great place for good information as well they are as less then accurate at times. Follow the outlined the factory procedures.

I think there are a couple of good picture how to around here on how to change the thermostat?
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Mar 2014, 11:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I called a repair shop this morning and they want $230 to replace it. That's enough motivation to make me want to attempt this myself.
Busted, I'm just clarifying, are you saying that I wouldn't have to bleed the system since I have enough coolant in there?
No one can answer this question because we do not know all the variables that may happen during your work.

As I suggested you should get a Haynes, Chilton or better yet a Factory service manual and follow the recommend procedure for changing a thermostat.

BTW 230 dollars seems high to do a T-Stat change in a PT? Unless this included the coolant and T-slant?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN