Electrics not turn off

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By randyincctx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2014, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrics not turn off

Hi,
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser. The plugs and wires are all new, (3K miles). When i turn the engine off the wipers, lights, and any other accessories stay on.
I've also had a problem with the vehicle drawing power off the battery when it is not running.
How do I trouble shoot for the cause of the electix continuing after I turn off? Is it likely that the problem with the wipers etc staying on is also the cause of the drain on the battery?
Thanks,
Jon H
Old 24 Mar 2014, 09:49 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Electrics not turn off

You didn't mention it,but does your PT Cruiser have factory fog lights???
Whether the answer was yes or no,I would still say based on your explanation,more than likely your MFS may be bad/going bad,and that's the first thing I myself would look to as the source of the problem.
Other than that;When you say 'turn the engine off',do you mean off and key removed,or off in the ACC position?
If the 'key on' electronics are continuing to work after the engine is turned off,and the key is removed......The source could be in the ignition cylinder,actuator,or switch.
If you have a multimeter you can check (or probe) the specific connections on those items for voltage & continuity,with the 'key-on',and then 'key-off'.
You should be able to narrow it done fairly easily by doing the things I've mentioned.
Old 25 Mar 2014, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Electrics not turn off

Thanks Randyincctx,
I will check the fog lights as they are original to the vehicle.
When I said "turn the engine off' I meant turn the key off, remove it and go to bed for the night.
I can check the ignition cylinder & actuator. But when you write check the 'switch' do you mean the switch to the specific electrical item- wipers, indicators, etc...
JH
Old 25 Mar 2014, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrics not turn off

On the PT, the actual ignition switch is a separate part from the cylinder. It will be on the left side of the column across from the cylinder.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: Electrics not turn off

The ignition cylinder,and actuator are mechanical parts;When I say ignition switch,I'm referring to the electrical portion as seen in this photo: