PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vibration problem

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2014, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Vibration problem

I just bought a 2006 PT Cruiser Base model. It is in great shape and looks like new (almost!). It runs real good and is fun to drive, but I took on a 230 mile round trip this week and it was the 1st time I was able to really cruise at a higher speed. I noticed it had a vibration starting at my accelerator pedal that shook my leg and seat after 60, but only when I gave it gas. For instance if I was cruising along at 65 without having to give it any pedal, it was fine, but if it started to slow down and I wanted back to 70, it would shake the more gas I gave it til it was uncomfortable. No shake downhill at all. I took it to the dealer and they said it needs a rear axle. Does that sound right? I'll it back get tomorrow and will find out if it feels better, but I just don't know. Your thoughts please! Thanks.

Last edited by ddpianoman; 25 Mar 2014 at 10:03 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vibration problem

Sounds like a problem in the front/rear drive axles or CV Joints. You need to get it up on a hoist/lift and have someone below look at the drive gear as it's moving. Also check the CV boots for cuts or breaks that would allow dirt and debris to get in.

Re-read your post:

If the dealer already told you it's the rear axle and you don't trust them, get a second opinion.

Welcome to the forum.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Mar 2014 at 09:49 am.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't follow the rear axle cause, given your description that it is directly engine-dependent, and since the rear axle has no engine linkage, I don't see the relevance.
I assume it's an automatic?
Could be lots of things -- transmission or transmission mounts, engine mounts, half shafts as Crewzin noted,... I just don't get how rear axle would not be causing the vibration whether you were giving it gas or not, since rear axle is just "along for the ride".

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Mar 2014, 11:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Vibration problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddpianoman View Post
I noticed it had a vibration starting at my accelerator pedal that shook my leg and seat after 60, but only when I gave it gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
transmission or transmission mounts, engine mounts, half shafts as Crewzin noted,...
Since it seems to only happen upon excelleration,I'm thinking the torque struts need to be looked at for worn bushings/inserts.
One easy way to see if they're really,really bad.....Open the hood,and watch the engine,while someone revs the engine,and also with the brake applied,cycle thru the gear range(on ATX) ......Does the motor lurch forward excessively???......YES=Bad Torque Struts/NO=Keep looking

Last edited by randyincctx; 26 Mar 2014 at 11:42 am.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well I got it back and they said both axles were bad and needed replacing. They did it for free and I just drove it 200 miles. It was much better. It still seems a little bit too much vibration at times, but most of time it feels fine. I think it may be the road or the brand of new tires they put on it. (Regul tires).. Anybody ever heard of them? They have a nice look to them.
randyincctx likes this.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 07:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Still got vibration. Steering wheel is not vibrating, but on a log trip my leg gets numb from the shimmy and vibration, especially when taking off up to about 25, then between 55 and 60, its not smooth. I cruise best at about 70-75. Taking it back to the dealer again Weds. They replaced the axles for free and say they will make it right. Any thoughts?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 07:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

By both axles, I think they mean left and right front.

Let us know when you get it back.

Never heard of those tires - a defective tire can give you vibration - but no point guessing- keep taking it back 'till they fix it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Apr 2014, 08:13 am
Banned

Perhaps you have the vibrating seats on?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 08:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Powered View Post
Perhaps you have the vibrating seats on?
Are you EVER helpful , or just enjoy being Sarcastic ?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 08:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Speed dependent vibrations can have a number of causes. Common wheel balance or bent rim problems can be checked by switching the tires/wheels with the fronts to the back to see if the issue also "moves". Usually worn or failed motor mount/torque arm bushings are felt on acceleration but I suppose they can also occasionally be a problem at speed. The lower control arm bushings are another "usual suspect".