Advertisements
2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

Hi
I have a 2007 PT Base. The brake lights stopped working. All the other lights work fine.
I checked both bulbs with Ohm meter- OK
I checked fuse #3 with Ohm meter - OK
I replaced the Brake pedal Switch - OK
I am lost after that. Can anyone help?

Thx Doc
Old 26 Mar 2014, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

Not that I can help a whole lot since it's the second generation PT (they have a completely different electrical/fuse set up) but is your 3Rd brake light working. The one at the top of the hatch.

Also, your didn't have any recent work done like a trailer hitch or adding something that might have something to do with the lights?

One last thng. I found this in a search.... brake lights not workin!!!!

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Mar 2014 at 11:21 am.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 11:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

thx
I took the trailer hitch lights assembly off months ago. the third light is not working.
I read the other post and could not make a lot of sense of what they were saying.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea, there was one guy who kept saying that it's the connection but not where the connection was. Someone else said that it was both bulbs which have a second filament and both were blown (hope you checked that) and other things I've read say it was the IPM (Integrated Power Module) which is another name for the fuse box in the engine compartment.

When you took off the trailer hitch, was there any splicing done to the wiring of the PT? Did you check all that wiring?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: 2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

yes i checked out both bulbs. I check the fuse. it is #3 ion the 2007.
I checked the splices when i took off the trailer assembly. Just looked at them again. there is continuity on both sides of splice.
I am baffled... I suppose the new Brake Peddle switch could be bad, but what are the chances of that. And since I can't remove it to test it and put it back, it is not replaceable, I don't know where to turn. Thx for your help.
I will keep trying. Oh BTW the brakes lights have been working fine for months since I took the Trailer assembly off.

Dazes and Confused

Doc
Old 26 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Cool Re: 2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctop View Post
I suppose the new Brake Peddle switch could be bad, but what are the chances of that.
Pretty good if it's an aftermarket one.....If you replaced it with a Mopar brake peddle switch,then disregard this post.
If not;then consider that a possibility.....Alot of aftermarket 'electrical' parts,seem to have a low success record with PT Cruisers.
Although I have seen posts of a few who have reported 'zero' problems,the number of posts when non-Mopar was used and problems arose are greater by far.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If the switch is bad, can i get a new one from Auto zone. and How can i prove it is bad?
Old 26 Mar 2014, 01:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The 2007 brake pedal switch may differ from that of 2005. That said, this information from the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Shop manual needs be known by anyone installing a brake switch.

"CAUTION: Do not reuse the original brake lamp switch. The switch can only be adjusted once. That is during initial installation of the switch. If the switch is not adjusted properly or has been removed for some service, a new switch must be installed and adjusted.

Mount and adjust the NEW brake lamp switch using the following procedure:
* Install the switch in its bracket by aligning the index tab on the switch with the slot in the mounting bracket.
* When the switch is fully seated in its bracket, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30 to lock the switch into place.
* With the brake pedal in the fully released position, move the lever on the back of the brake lamp switch from the non-adjusted angle position to the full vertical position. This will adjust the brake lamp switch to the vehicle."
Old 26 Mar 2014, 02:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Post Re: 2007 PT Base - Brake lights not workinjg

Here is a 2007 PT Cruiser owner,with a problem that sounds very similar to your issue......Also;This shows 2007 to be the same brake light switch:http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/5...tail-stop.html
If you can locate a pin-connector diagram online (sanatanadharma may have one?) for the brake lamp switch,you should be able to check it for continuity & resistance(both 'open' & 'closed').
Old 26 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thx guys. I followed the directions to the "Tee" putting in the Brake Pedal Switch. I have been building and working on cars for 50 yrs. I have changed several switches in several makes of cars and trucks in my amateur mechanic career.This one has me stumped.

1. I check and tested the fuse #3 on 2007
2. I inspected and tested both bulbs. w/ ohm meter. Both are working
3. I replaced the Brake Pedal Switch. Following the instructions exactly.
4. I checked all the splices from the trailer adapter which was removed several months ago. Got continuity on both sides of splice and thru splice.
5. Started pulling my hair out because the lights still don't work, but they worked 1 week ago.
I want to thank everyone who helped. I will keep trying. I am going to try and see if I can get a reading from the BP switch. Not a lot of room down there.
Thx again
Doc