Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 rear hatch handle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2014, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 rear hatch handle

The rear hatch handle has detached itself from the car, I bought a used one to put in it's place but it looks like it glues on, what type of adhesive do I use on the wings?
Old 26 Mar 2014, 03:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 rear hatch handle

Good old 3M emblem adhesive tape. Available and pretty much all auto parts / hardware stores.
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice
Old 26 Mar 2014, 03:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just tape really? It looks like it was glued previously should I buff that off? I'm guessing yes
Old 26 Mar 2014, 10:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: 2001 rear hatch handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2freak82 View Post
It looks like it was glued previously
Can you post a photo?......It may well have been remounted by a previous owner(or body shop?) and they used 3M Emblem Adhesive.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On mine, the emblem in the middle of the handle fell off. I cleaned off both surfaces and used superglue to put it back on. I had taken the original center piece off years ago and replaced it with an aftermarket PT piece sold by one of the companies not around anymore, so it was the newer PT emblem that just fell off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Originals were definitely glued, I just put one back onto my 01.

Not sure exactly what glue was originally used but I used GE Silicon Clear.
The real trick is in cleaning up the 2 surfaces, Mine had a lot of rust on the actuator surface.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2freak82 View Post
just tape really? It looks like it was glued previously should I buff that off? I'm guessing yes
Yes adhesive tape, designed for automotive moldings, so it is very strong and weather resistant.

I replaced my rusted liftgate and switched my whole latch assembly over. It did have a type of adhesive on it, along with pins held on with small steel push on clips.

I carefully removed the clips, then thoroughly cleaned off the old adhesive from the emblem. Trimmed the tape to fit the wings, then reassembled to the new gate.

I sounds like yours has been worked on before since it sounds like your little pins are missing. You should not need them though, this stuff is pretty sticky and durable. It is pressure sensitive so the harder you push the better it holds. Just don't dent your liftgate
Red tint tails, chrome trimmed grille, custom towel rack buttonless flamed shifter, auto dimming rear view, Homelink remote transmitter, driver seat drawer, MOPAR sub, lowered 1" rear, MOPAR/Borla dual tipped exhaust, chrome trimmed GT gauge/airbag surround, front 35% tint, and the ever so important Fuzzy Dice