PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Repair quote reasonable? Timing belt and kitchen sink.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2014, 12:28 am
Young Cruiser

Default Repair quote reasonable? Timing belt and kitchen sink.

Hi everyone,

I came back from the mechanic's today with a bit of sticker shock on a quote... does this seem right to you?

Originally went in December for a timing belt job, and got a quote of $1200 (Cdn) parts and labour - timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, cam/crankshaft seals, alternator belt (was starting to squeal). He was also going to have a closer look at a leak on the power steering hose, oil seeping from the differential casing, and a warm A/C (it's been blowing warm for a year; I haven't gotten around to it). The lower engine mounts were also cracking, but that wasn't included in the quote. I had two mortgages at the time so I put off the work - Mr. Blue's my daily driver, but I'm more of an occasional driver.

2000km (2003 GT at 62k km) and four months later, less one mortgage, plus the car not idling more than a few minutes without running rough and power cutting out (I suspect the alternator belt causing issues): he had another look, today's list included all of the above plus both PS pressure/return hoses (he showed me, both are leaking now), one of the AC hoses replaced (I don't recall which - a larger one visible when the hood's up), all engine mounts (he won't know about the top ones until everything's out, but included their cost as worst case scenario), something about the diff casing (afraid I don't recall what - also included as worst case), and flush/refill PS, coolant, freon, maybe trans. if needed.

The shop comes highly recommended to me (a gearhead I trust recommended him...they service the city's police fleet) and they've done lots of PT work; their shop rate is $100/hour, which is on the high end of normal for my neighbourhood. Worst case quote comes to nearly $1000 on parts, and about $1200 on labour (day and a half). I do trust them... but ouch!

Sound about right? Thoughts appreciated!

Mr. Blue: Patriot Blue '03 GT, beloved little gas hog.

Last edited by fretnone; 30 Mar 2014 at 01:41 am. Reason: Added car year/model/km
Old 30 Mar 2014, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Repair quote reasonable? Timing belt and kitchen sink.

That's up to you. I don't know what is normal as for price in your neighborhood.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Mar 2014, 08:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I would think that $1000 in parts is High to me , here online You can get the parts for timming belt , water pump {should be done when you do the belt} , both tentioners for around $180 ............ shipped upper and lower mounts arnt all that expensive either , ive found that alot of the time "some' machanics will give you a 'book price" for each thing you want done and then lump them together .... could be where the high numbers are coming from , just a thought , do some pricing yourself .... $2200 doesnt seem "normal" to me ...... Good Luck

Last edited by boonie2; 30 Mar 2014 at 08:31 am.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 09:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Prices for this work are going to vary widely based on where you live and what type of shop or individual you hired to do the work. $2200 is likely on the high side. If you search the forum you will likely find the median (not average) price be be somewhere around $1200 to $1500. Or it could be done in the back yard with all Gates brand parts bought online for around $200 or possibly less. My study of this also indicates that a shop with the right tools and experienced technicians can do this job fairly quickly. So in some cases, a high-end shop might cost no more than a low-end or shade tree mechanic for hire. But if it was me, I would only pick a shop or individual that would give me a hard not-to-exceed price.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 30 Mar 2014 at 09:12 am.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 11:21 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks guys,

The original quote for just the belts and related at $1200 was competitive for my area, with the exception of a one-man shop who quoted me 3 days work at $500, but the language barrier there was so high the only thing I really got out of the conversation, even with a friend translating, was 'timing belt'.

It was the jump to $2200 that got me; if I think about it, that's another $1k for power steering hoses, AC line, motor mounts, and checking out the diff casing. I was under the impression that at least some time could be saved by having it all looked at while things were apart from the timing belt, but I'm thinking boonie's right, and he's just lumped all the book times together.

Parts - I put together a shopping cart at 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts & Accessories | OEM Mopar Parts | ChryslerParts.net and got to about $685 wholesale pricing, so that's about right if he's charging book price.

Will need to ask him some more questions I think...

Mr. Blue: Patriot Blue '03 GT, beloved little gas hog.