PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What hose is this?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default What hose is this?

I've got a hose that has come off under the hood of my 1993 PT Cruiser. The hose seems to come from the UIM to the valve cover(?). The plastic fitment on the valve cover side has broken, and there's some sort of spinning device or sensor coming out of the valve cover side.

Can you guys tell me what this hose is and if I'm okay driving 100 miles home before fixing it?

I'm idling a little rough, and the oil pressure light came on and off a couple of times before I could find parking in the big city (oil level is fine), but it doesn't seem to be getting overly hot or spewing any liquids.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What hose is this?

Welcome the the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

First, please tell us about your PT. Do you live in the US or another country? They didn't make PT Cruisers in 1993 so we will need the actual year model, the engine size (if not in the US) and does it have a turbo?

And next, how about a photo of the hose?
MrSmith likes this.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 08:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just a shot in the dark without any pics or info. but maybe the PCV hose ?
randyincctx likes this.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 10:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Heh. Sorry, I meant 2003. I'm in the US, and my car is not turbo. I'll try to grab a picture of it in a little bit. We're at a convention and the car is squirreled away in some valet parking garage somewhere mysterious.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

boonie2 is a winnah! Judging by the google image search I just did, that's exactly what the hose is. So what do you guys say, am I okay to drive it 100 miles home? Or 15 minutes to a parts store? Or should I start figuring out how to get it fixed before I move it?
Old 30 Mar 2014, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From your description, sounds like your PCV valve broke - oily at valve cover end? A little oil goes a long way....
Look at the PCV - there are ones that screw in, ones that are Push and 1/4 turn - not sure which you have - but get anther one and check it's the right one.
How did you discover it? If you don't know how long it's been disconnected, check/top off oil, replace it, and you should be go to go.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Mar 2014, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In the Tech Docs thread, there are many parts catalogs that I've posted and they may be of help in figuring out what a certain item is.
PT CRUISER TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS LIBRARY

For your year, 2003, here's the link to the parts catalog: 2003 Parts Catalog
Old 30 Mar 2014, 02:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

it shouldnt hurt anything driving it 100 miles , PCV = Positive crankcase Ventilation , just vents your "blowby" fumes back into your system to be reburned and helps keep the pressure positive in your crankcase .. might smell a bit oily and may leak some oil onto your valve cover , to be safe tho id have it replaced , or maybe tape it temp back in place , just to avoid a potential fire hazzard...

Last edited by boonie2; 30 Mar 2014 at 02:43 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2014, 04:55 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
I've got a hose that has come off under the hood of my 1993 PT Cruiser. The hose seems to come from the UIM to the valve cover(?). The plastic fitment on the valve cover side has broken, and there's some sort of spinning device or sensor coming out of the valve cover side.

Can you guys tell me what this hose is and if I'm okay driving 100 miles home before fixing it?

I'm idling a little rough, and the oil pressure light came on and off a couple of times before I could find parking in the big city (oil level is fine), but it doesn't seem to be getting overly hot or spewing any liquids.
I'd be much more concerned with the low oil pressure being aglow, even just "at times".
It may be new engine bearings time....or just a new pressure switch will do the trick..
All cars should have an oil pressure gage !
Old 30 Mar 2014, 05:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Right ! My light comes on sometimes too , when the oil is full , annoying