Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Replacing Brake Light Socket?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2014, 06:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Replacing Brake Light Socket?

Long time lurker (and boy can I say that you guys have helped save my bacon many times in your insightful and helpful advice!) first time poster.

So my 2006 PT Cruiser is a Touring Edition. It's an automatic. Apart from that I couldn't tell you further specs (other than it has a rear spoiler and a sun/moon roof.)

Anyway,... at first it was just one tail light socket that went out and I know that I need to replace that now the other light has gone out and I'm suspicious that it might be the same case.

My questions are these:

Which one of these do I need to buy? This one? or or This?

Secondly, How hard/time consuming etc is this gonna be? Should I attempt or should I have someone else do it? I am something of a novice when it comes to all things cars but I'm not entirely ignorant when it comes to it. I've been a single mom for most of my kid's 15 years on this earth so I have had to learn in the trial by fire method how to do this and that. If I can see how something is supposed to look, how it breaks down, the procedure it needs to do it (YouTube usually), I can usually do it as long as it only takes basic tools and no lifts or hydrolic tools.

Here's what I know about the socket that DOES need replacing:

Taillight covers got cracked. Lots of moisture got in. (It was literally swimming in my taillights!) The little metal prong that lines the side where the main big bulb plugs in corroded off and is gone. The other one on the other side is still there. I used some dielectric grease on it in hopes that just maaaaybe it might allow a connection. Learned that nope, it won't. Used dielectric grease on the other socket to make sure it didn't have the same thing happen. So far it has worked.... til now. I haven't taken the tail light off yet to inspect the one that was previously working cause it just went out on me on my way into work this morning. Could just be a bulb, sure... but I'll still need to replace the one on the passengers side regardless.

Any help is most appreciated and welcomed so thanks a million in advance.

Addendum: Instead of making another thread I'll just slip this in here too if anyone has insight on it. The car also seems to be drinking brake fluid and oil. I have to replace it far more often than I have ever had to replace/refill any other vehicle I have owned but it wasn't this way when I first bought it. I just hit the 100,000 miles mark on the odometer a few weeks ago and I have been the only owner of this car so I know all it's been through. Surprisingly not a lot all things considered. It's been an awesome and reliable car for someone that doesn't get the luxury of snow days off from work and expected to get to work no matter what the road or weather condition. I'm looking at passing this car on to my son in a year or so because of it's reliability so I'm looking to keep it running as well as possible.

Last edited by 911Gal; 31 Mar 2014 at 06:15 am. Reason: added stuff
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Replacing Brake Light Socket?

Well, since clips are gone, lens is cracked, seems you need more than just socket...
Try this:
New Tail Light 06 10 PT Cruiser Passenger Side Back Taillamp Brakelight Lamp | eBay

be sure you get the correct side - they are different.
You'll need a torqx screw - find an autopart store like Advance Auto and get a set that looks like a jacknife that has several different sizes, is cheap, you can't lose them, and works fine.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Mar 2014, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you want both lights, here are 2 brand new for $75 shipped (and maybe less)

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

make sure sockets are included.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 02 Apr 2014, 05:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay so Update.....

Went to AutoZone and AdvanceAuto both (as well as a dealership) to try to get the socket replaced same day and not have to wait for something to ship in. (driving on the interstate before the buttcrack of dawn in the am with no brake lights isn't fun after all) At Advance they tried to help. I got a screwdriver to get the brake light cover off and the guy let me try a couple to get the right size (they didn't have any of the torqx in the multi-pocket knife thing) I took the one off that I knew was bad and then when checking the bulb on the other one went ahead and took it off too in case they had the part and I could replace right there.

Turns out they didn't.

However..... When plugged the one that I wasn't sure of back in it started working again. So I'm guessing there is a short in a wire somewhere that the rough roads I'd been driving over had shaken out of place?

No one had the socket in stock anywhere so I am going to a junkyard (this is no salvage yard... trust me. If you saw it you'd agree) today after work. They said they do have a PT on the lot and I'm gonna try to get them that way.

I'll update more when I have more.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Alright so update.... I found a 2001 at the junkyard that has a good looking socket. The back two taillight covers were in good condition too so I bought those too so that I could replace my cracked ones. When I was checking them out the seemed alright. Of course I had to guesstimate a bit too. The bottom had a three notch spot for the socket to go in like mine and it looked to be in the right place. I didn't have the top one to compare and hadn't taken it off so it wasn't as fresh in my mind.

Yeah... I can tell already that you all are shaking your heads. Maybe even face palming a bit. I learned my lesson.

While the socket itself works great and I now have a tail light, I sort of had to wedge it into the hole in my original tail light cover since it didn't fit. Three notches yes, but just sliiiiiiightly off so that they do not interlock. Seriously Chrysler... WTF?!~? Considering that the actual look of the tail light cover is no different other than the color of the turn signal light (the 01 is yellow, my '06 is clear) the only reason to screw with the connector's ability to lock into one another is greed from what I can tell. The top lights (turn signals) are completely different.

I have decided that I'm going to try to dremmel the '01s out to fit at least somewhat since it's already paid for and there's no returns.

2006 Touring Edition Automatic
Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just be glad the overall taillights are the same and they only made the turn signal clear - they could've changed the size of the light.
Yes, connectors changed in '06 - dremel away - use zip ties to hold connectors together if you have to, but people have retro-fitted '06 and later lights into earlier PTs - with a little work on the connectors.

Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

You know... I hadn't even thought about the zipties! Great Idea! I think I shall invest in a few and work that out.

2006 Touring Edition Automatic
Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Gal View Post
You know... I hadn't even thought about the zipties! Great Idea! I think I shall invest in a few and work that out.
I am trying to squelch all those rumors that I'm not good for anything!