PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
WILL NOT IDLE PLEASE HELP

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2014, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default WILL NOT IDLE PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone I just joined the forum today and hoping to get some help with my PT.

Yesterday I gassed my car up and went on a drive to a swap meet. It was a longer drive then i typically drive the car, i don't typically take very long drives. Anyway, once I drove into the parking lot of the swap meet I got down to about 5 MPH and that's when i really started to noticing it (when going slow). It wants to kind of inch me forward and making it a little harder to stop. Once i put it in park it had a terrible idle, and nearly died. Its also takes more effort to start it.

So here's what i've done so far:

1. Put new gas in
2. Fuel treatment.
3. cleaned out Throttle body
4. Cleaned out IAC

I'm heading up to the part store now to buy some new plugs (Iridum), and plug wires and ill throw a new intake gasket in it as well.

Do anyone have any ideas? Is it possibly the fuel filter considering i noticed the problem 50 minutes after i got gas?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06 Apr 2014, 01:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: WILL NOT IDLE PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfromil View Post
It was a longer drive then i typically drive the car, i don't typically take very long drives.
Welcome to the forum.

Short trips on any vehicle are not good on a lot of parts. If the vehicle doesn't have a chance to warm up completely, fouling of the exhaust, plugs, excess carbon buildup.

What you have done and about to do should help in getting rid of your problem, if in fact the short trips are causing it. Try and take a longer trip to wherever your going to put about 10 miles on the odometer or watch the gauge to see if it reaches normal operating temperature.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree w/Crewzin.
Also, you don't say where you are, but was your A/C on? If A/C compressor is starting to go or it isn't cycling properly, it can louse up idle.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2014, 04:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Short trips on any vehicle are not good on a lot of parts. If the vehicle doesn't have a chance to warm up completely, fouling of the exhaust, plugs, excess carbon buildup.

What you have done and about to do should help in getting rid of your problem, if in fact the short trips are causing it. Try and take a longer trip to wherever your going to put about 10 miles on the odometer or watch the gauge to see if it reaches normal operating temperature.
Well a typical day I drive 15 minutes to work. My everyday routine is to go outside and warm it up for about 6-7 minutes and off I go. I will also try what you said and report back.

I did forget to mention It's not throwing out any kind of code or engine light. I checked by using the turn on and off method and it said "done" with no code of any kind. I also replaced a pcv hose yesterday It was collapsing and sucking very little air threw it.

Edit: I did install new plug and wires. I noticed an improvement, however the problem is absolutely still there.

Last edited by ryanfromil; 06 Apr 2014 at 04:28 pm.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Agree w/Crewzin.
Also, you don't say where you are, but was your A/C on? If A/C compressor is starting to go or it isn't cycling properly, it can louse up idle.
Where I am? I live in Illinois, no ac needed here at the time and it hasn't been used since last summer.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm
Banned

Maybe you overfilled it and fouled the fuel pump
Old 06 Apr 2014, 04:41 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: WILL NOT IDLE PLEASE HELP

Have you considered the possibility that when you filled up at the gas station,the fuel may have had contamination(water/dirt),or too high sulfur content......These are normally found at 'bargain' gas stations;Lowest Price around,while the other 3 stations on the corner/nearby are 25-50 higher???
Old 06 Apr 2014, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm happy to report the problem is gone. I just test drove it around and had it going 55 mph and came to a stop. Once i stopped i listened and it was back to normal. I drove around for a while and still runs great.

I guess the possible problem was one of the following:

spark plug
spark plug wires
the corrosion i removed from the battery
bad gas??? (shell gas)

I would like to thank everyone for their help. we've got a great group of people here. After the drive I took i'd say its fixed and back to normal.
Old 06 Apr 2014, 05:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Question Re: WILL NOT IDLE PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfromil View Post
bad gas??? (shell gas)
I know at least as far back as 1991....I read a BMW TSB warning not to use Shell gasoline due to reported high sulphur levels....But,I would think they'd corrected that issue by now?(EPA reg.s & all)
You mentioned changing the plugs.......How did the plugs look when you removed them?
Old 06 Apr 2014, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
I know at least as far back as 1991....I read a BMW TSB warning not to use Shell gasoline due to reported high sulphur levels....But,I would think they'd corrected that issue by now?(EPA reg.s & all)
You mentioned changing the plugs.......How did the plugs look when you removed them?
Here they are...Looks a little rough to me.