PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AHHHH! Autozone Broke My Keyless Remote!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2014, 08:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default AHHHH! Autozone Broke My Keyless Remote!

Yep,

When I bought my 2001 PT, it got one very worn remote with the unlock button missing. But I could still get it to unlock the door with a little effort. After realizing that this was all I needed to program a new remote, I bought an original Mopar remote off of eBay still sealed in the package. And programming it was a dream. But it always seemed much weaker than the remote for my Dodge truck which uses the exact same type.

So I stopped in at Autozone the evening and let them change out the batteries. I figured the original batteries might be weak after being in the package for many years. And now MY REMOTE DOES NOT WORK AT ALL!

Of course, Autozone won't do anything about this. And honestly, it may not be their fault anyway. I took the remote apart and examined everything I could see and compared it to the insides of my Dodge truck remote. Everything seems to be perfect. But it just won't work. And even the little indicator device at Autozone only shows a very weak signal light when testing it. I tried another set of batteries, no joy. I disassembled it and reassembled it several times, no joy. It just will not unlock the doors on my PT.

But here's the worst part. My old worn out remote no longer works either. I guess than when I reprogrammed my PT to the new remote, it no longer responds to the old one. So NOW I HAVE NO REMOTE AND CANNOT PROGRAM ANOTHER ONE!. AHHHH!

And of course, my PT now repeatedly honks the horn every time I unlock it with a key. It doesn't seem to like that. I guess that's some kind of anti-theft feature.

So now I have to not only buy another remote, but I also have to pay either the Chrysler dealership or a locksmith to reprogram the new remote. THIS REALLY MAKES me unhappy.

But hey, with all the good things in my life I will just let this go. After all, if not having a remote for my PT is my only issue, then it's been a good day. Rant over.........

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Apr 2014 at 08:30 pm.
Old 09 Apr 2014, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AHHHH! Autozone Broke My Keyless Remote!

Yes, I believe if you don't have a working remote, the dealer is what you need. You can buy your own remote off ebay and have dealer program it.
randyincctx likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Apr 2014, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've read that on some Chryslers, you can do this without an original remote by grounding the "RKE Program Enable" pin either at the RKE module or on the ODBII data link connector at Pin #1. But I haven't found anything specific to the PT Cruiser.

Do anybody know anything about this?

DATA LINK CONNECTOR - BLACK 16 WAY
CAV CIRCUIT FUNCTION
1 D9 20DG RKE MODULE PROGRAM ENABLE
2 D25 18VT/YL PCI BUS
3 D1 20VT/BR CCD BUS (+)
4 Z12 18BK GROUND
5 Z12 18BK GROUND
6 D20 20LG SCI RECEIVE
7 D21 20PK SCI TRANSMIT
8 - -
9 - -
10 D24 18WT/DG DIAGNOSTIC FLASHLINE SIGNAL
11 D2 20WT/BK CCD BUS (-)
12 - -
13 - -
14 - -
15 - -
16 F13 18DB/RD FUSED B(+)

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Apr 2014 at 09:06 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 02:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wink Re: AHHHH! Autozone Broke My Keyless Remote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
So NOW I HAVE NO REMOTE AND CANNOT PROGRAM ANOTHER ONE!. AHHHH!
You do know that's why when you only have 1 good remote,go ahead and get 1 (or 2!) and program them before that kinda thing happens,right?
Old 10 Apr 2014, 04:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
You do know that's why when you only have 1 good remote,go ahead and get 1 (or 2!) and program them before that kinda thing happens,right?
That's why I kept the old worn out remote. I don't know why it doesn't still work. I even tried putting new batteries in it. No joy at all.

I'd like to get conformations first, but I figure I will try grounding that pin and see if it works. I found a forum where that was very successful on many late 1990's up through 2001 Chrysler mini-vans and several others including a Viper.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 09:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

VICTORY!

I completely disassembled the remote one more time and wiped the contact points. And now it works again. I'm very thankful that Heaven protects fools.

However, I am still interested in the prospect of being able to program a new remote by grounding the "RKE Program Enable" pin. That would be new information I haven't found discussed on this or other PT Cruiser forums before. Of course, do I risk something really bad happening if I ground that pin with the key turned on? If it damages the PCM, I would not be a happy camper.

A less risky way to try this is to ground the pin at the RKE module itself. But I've yet to find a RKE module pin out schematic that shows which pin to ground.

It's just something to consider. I will research this more before trying it out.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Great!
Now buy and program another one.
Was it the older one you fixed?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
VICTORY!

I completely disassembled the remote one more time and wiped the contact points. And now it works again. I'm very thankful that Heaven protects fools.

However, I am still interested in the prospect of being able to program a new remote by grounding the "RKE Program Enable" pin. That would be new information I haven't found discussed on this or other PT Cruiser forums before. Of course, do I risk something really bad happening if I ground that pin with the key turned on? If it damages the PCM, I would not be a happy camper.

A less risky way to try this is to ground the pin at the RKE module itself. But I've yet to find a RKE module pin out schematic that shows which pin to ground.

It's just something to consider. I will research this more before trying it out.
If you got both working. You can get some junk yard fobs and program them in. So you can replace the worn out one.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 10 Apr 2014, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Great!
Now buy and program another one.
Was it the older one you fixed?
The one I fixed was the new one that no longer worked after Autozone changed the battery.

I'm not sure why my old one doesn't work anymore. But I've read that sometimes you have to program all remotes during the same programming event. Old remotes may not stay programmed automatically if this is true. But I'm not sure if that applies to a 2001 PT.

Also, I've read that the RKE module will only program up to four remotes. So if it does retain the programming for older remotes, it might be bumping an old one off of the list when a new remote is added. I'm not sure and most folks on the internet are only guessing based on what they have experienced. Dealerships do this by using a program on a computer plugged into the ODBII port. So finding the actual mechanisms behind this madness is difficult.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 03:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

From shop and owner's Manuals:
"The receiver (RKEM) may receive signals from up to four transmitters. Each transmitter has its own code, and the code is programmed and stored into RKE module memory. If a transmitter is replaced or additional transmitters are added, the codes for all units have to be reprogrammed into the RKE module memory."
"To Program Transmitters
Up to four transmitters can be programmed to your vehicle. Your new vehicle was shipped with two transmitters. See your dealer for additional transmitters
Additional transmitters can be programmed to the system by using the following procedure:
1. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn the switch to the ON position.
2. Press and hold the Unlock button on the transmitter between four and ten seconds.
3. Continue to hold the Unlock button and press the Panic button. A chime will sound to indicate that the transmitter programming mode has been entered.
4. Press a button on all transmitters to be programmed to the system, including any previously programmed transmitters.
A chime will sound when each transmitter has been programmed.
5. Turn the ignition switch off to exit the transmitter programming mode."

Quote:
...I'm not sure why my old one doesn't work anymore. But I've read that sometimes you have to program all remotes during the same programming event. Old remotes may not stay programmed automatically if this is true. ...