Advertisements
Knocking noise from engine

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2014, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Knocking noise from engine

Hey guys.

Wow what a rough week. At the first of this past week my transmission fluid was leaking at the transmission cooler lines. Just had the transmission rebuilt at the end of February. The leak stopped the next day for some reason. Two days later I made it to work 30 minutes early, it was chilly outside but not cold (around 55 degrees) so I left my car running while I was in it to keep me warm. I was ever so softly listening to music when all of a sudden I hear a loud gurgle noise which kinda freaked me out until I realized that it was the sound of boiling water. Temperature gauge went up to the line right before the red H so about 3/4 of the way up. After that noise the gauge went back down to the normal middle line. I just brushed it off because it was 4 am and I couldn't see to check any fluids. As I was walking out the door at work around 12 noon I noticed a lot of fluid under my car. So I take off the radiator cap and of course had to add 1/2 gallon of 50/50 coolant to my radiator and the overflow bottle. Crawled underneath it and noticed it was leaking from this plastic cover under where the water pump would be. Drove the car 4 miles home, had no overheating problem, and when I got home no leak. The coolant is clean as I just changed it in October when I bought the car, as well as put a new OEM thermostat in the car. Bled all air for 3 hours until there was no more via the "burping" method I had to use with my Dodge Neon. Then I was in the fast lane on the highway Friday evening, and a green Saturn came out of no where flying and side swiped my side mirror off my car. Gotta replace that tomorrow after work. Starting this afternoon, I got back from a long (60ish mile) drive on the interstate to return a phone at Best Buy. The car did fine on my way to work this morning, as well as on my way to and from Best Buy. When I got home, I pulled in the driveway and opened my car door with my engine still running and noticed a knocking noise. I immediately checked the coolant, transmission fluid, and oil. All levels are normal. I called my dad to see if he was home and drove it two miles down to his house so he can hear it. It doesn't do it when I am driving down the road, or when I rev up the engine while it is idling. It only does it at 850-1000 rpm. He said it wasn't a valve or a rod, because it would continue and get louder as the rpms went up. I have not had the timing belt replaced and am not sure if the previous owner did or not. I have also not changed the oil yet, was gonna do that tomorrow after work. I have all the parts to do brakes, plugs and wires, timing, serpentine belts, tensioners, PCV valve, and another coolant flush and fill in the back of my car. Just haven't made it to my mechanic to have it done yet. The car has almost 158,000 miles on it. I am afraid to do the oil change until I know what this noise is. Does anyone have any ideas? I will try to post a video of the noise tomorrow. Also what would cause these spontaneous leaks that just quit out of no where? I'm honestly waiting for this car to spontaneously combust or something with the way my luck has been going. I have been through hell with this car and am ready to just let it get repossessed. I have only had the car 6 months and still owe almost 12,000 on it since I had to get it at a buy here pay here lot. I thought it would be a good car since my 2001 Dodge Neon was so tough but I guess I was wrong. Please help me guys I don't know what else to do!!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Knocking noise from engine

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=759570140728654

Here is the link to the post in my Facebook with the video of the noise. For some reason YouTube won't let me upload the video for you guys to hear.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 07:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Very odd noise. Almost like something hitting something hollow. My car also had a weird noise somewhat like yours
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

How did you fix it? Or was it fixable? I'm so scared that my engine is gonna blow up or something. I'm 5000 miles overdue an oil change. Could that have something to do with it? It's got the oil they used at the car lot to change it with still in it other than me adding a quart of 10w 30 every month. It loses 1 quart a month from the drain plug. I have a new drain plug to install as well when I do the oil change.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 08:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

So the knocking noise seems to have stopped. All I hear is the typical tick that it always had and my neon had that same tick. What the heck is up with this possessed car?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 03:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I had someone tell me it could be a camshaft bearing. Is this true? What am I looking at if this is the case?
Old 19 Apr 2014, 04:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since it's an 04, might want to read this.....

2004 PT Cruiser, engine noise - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 06:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01n3on View Post
How did you fix it? Or was it fixable? I'm so scared that my engine is gonna blow up or something. I'm 5000 miles overdue an oil change. Could that have something to do with it? It's got the oil they used at the car lot to change it with still in it other than me adding a quart of 10w 30 every month. It loses 1 quart a month from the drain plug. I have a new drain plug to install as well when I do the oil change.
WHY would you go 5000 miles OVER and wonder why your engines making noises
that car lot probably used some cheap $$ store oil ...CHANGE YOUR OIL
rob342 likes this.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I changed the oil and filter the other day. Things had been so hectic that I had not been able to get to it. I was working three jobs at the time. Brakes have also been done and in the process I found out the boots on the ball joints are almost missing. This car has given me nothing but he'll since I bought it and I am thinking about just letting it go on my credit and letting them have it.
Old 19 Apr 2014, 06:17 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01n3on View Post
I changed the oil and filter the other day. Things had been so hectic that I had not been able to get to it. I was working three jobs at the time. Brakes have also been done and in the process I found out the boots on the ball joints are almost missing. This car has given me nothing but he'll since I bought it and I am thinking about just letting it go on my credit and letting them have it.
Has to be tough working 3 jobs , Kudos to you

I have an 04 also but I haven't noticed any noise like you have , It doesn't seem to change with the rpm's either , that's strange , I'D say don't worry about it , but that's easy for me to say don't stress about it , Reg maint.and treat her good , is about all you can do with any car , Good Luck

Last edited by boonie2; 19 Apr 2014 at 06:19 pm.