PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tire Pressure Monitor Light - false reading?

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tire Pressure Monitor Light - false reading?

Alright, so last Saturday I had a semi-flat tire (driver's rear). I drove it to a mechanic and they pumped it back up. Later that day the tire pressure monitor light came one. I checked the tires, they looked normal. I attributed it to a false reading. Sunday came, to church the light was on and so was the return trip. I borrowed my neighbors air pump, and checked the pressures of each tire. Now, I have an issue trying to get a decent, reliable, tire pressure. From what I could tell, the passengers side, was around 40 psi. The drivers side front was (i think) ~32 psi. The rear drivers tire....i couldn't get a reading a good reading! it keep saying ~20 psi, but it looked like it had more. So i pumped it to 40 psi just in case. The tire pressure monitor light was still on after that. It has been on ever since, and I check to my tires every time I enter and exit the car. they look great, but the light is still on.

I don't think it is broken, and I know the pressure of the tire changes with the temperature outside, but for the past couple of days (minus today) the temperature has been consistent.

I am simply baffled by whats going on. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tire Pressure Monitor Light - false reading?

First, you cannot tell tire pressure by looking at the tires.
Buy a tire gauge and don't buy the cheapest one.
Now, with the Gauge, check your tire pressures and see if you have a problem.
If pressure is correct and light is still on, you'll probably need a new tire pressure sender in that tire - they run over $100, so be prepared.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
First, you cannot tell tire pressure by looking at the tires.
If pressure is correct and light is still on, you'll probably need a new tire pressure sender in that tire - they run over $100, so be prepared.
Well, I got one of those pencil looking tire gauges, and it was free. I just checked the price online, pretty cheap. So I need a better gauge then. Any suggestions for under $20? Or is that still too cheap?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:43 am
Senior Cruiser

I had to buy a new sensor for my 2009. My top part of the valve stem broke off due to corrosion. Got it off of Amazon for $35 and Walmart installed it for free.

Like said above I would get a good tire gauge and take a reading on all four tires and then decide where the issue is. You also need to set the tires to proper pressure.

I use a digital tire gauge made by Slime I got at Walmart for $12. Works perfect.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 09:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
I had to buy a new sensor for my 2009. My top part of the valve stem broke off due to corrosion. Got it off of Amazon for $35 and Walmart installed it for free.

Like said above I would get a good tire gauge and take a reading on all four tires and then decide where the issue is. You also need to set the tires to proper pressure.

I use a digital tire gauge made by Slime I got at Walmart for $12. Works perfect.
I have seen those sensors costing a lot more on other cars...
I wouldn't count on free installation, but should only be around $20 for demount/mount & balance.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Apr 2014, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

a good tire guage should be around $18 or so and in my wifes KIA if you are not with in a piund or 2 the light will stay on so see what is in the other tires and make them all the same--also im not 100% but maybe clear the codes or in this case light and see if it pops back on

it could be the sensor or some times they need reset--usally that is when you are chainging tires and they get bumped around
Old 15 Apr 2014, 01:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Other then resetting with a battery pull you can't reset just the tire pressure monitoring system or the sensors. It is self learning unlike most cars. Makes it easy on a tire rotation. They can be all over the place just not below 30 pounds.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 04:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

thats good to know
Old 24 Jun 2014, 11:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to mamasboy02 Send a message via Yahoo to mamasboy02 Send a message via Skype™ to mamasboy02

You might be having a bad tire pressure sensor right there. A friend of mine and his brother experienced that one with their Titan and it never get fixed after days and days of diagnostic at the mechanic shop! The mechanic told them it was due to signal interference of their TPMS and that loses its sense! I say, BS! But still, it does make sense. Check if there are signal interference like usb car chargers or any sort.
Have you checked each tire couple of times? Are the PSI results differ from each other(on each tire)? If not, then you have to replace your TPMSystem or buy digital tire gauge and put it in your glove box. My friends never changed their TPMS though but they bought tire gauges. You can buy digital ones on amazon like Mountain Crest Premium Tire Gauge, Accutire, Longacre. These are the great ones as far as accuracy and sturdiness is concerned.
NOTE: Don't buy cheap gauges!
rockandroller likes this.
Old 08 Sep 2014, 08:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"First, you cannot tell tire pressure by looking at the tires.
If pressure is correct and light is still on, you'll probably need a new tire pressure sender in that tire - they run over $100, so be prepared." -quicksilverdon

I guess he's right. You need to buy a decent tire gauge. You can take a look at amazon. There is an ample number of tire gauge producer there like Michelin, Accutire, Longacre and Mountain Crest Products Premium Tire Gauge. As for me, I've used two of these products before. First is Michelin then followed by Mountain Crest Tire Gauge. So far, I've had great experience with the recent one.

Tags
tire pressure