PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Intermittent Starting

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Intermittent Starting

Over the past year I have been having an intermittent starting issue with my 2003 PT Cruiser (Non-Turbo). The problem occurs at random and the car may go weeks without any starting issues. When the problem happens I turn the key and I hear the starter click and nothing. If I let the car sit and try it later it will start. I am puzzled because nothing changed in between the time it would not start and the time it starts.

When the problem first started I tried to jump start the car, and it did not help. I have replacing the battery 3 times, and then finally bought a multimeter and tested the battery and found all the readings are good.

After replacing the battery multiple times I have replaced the starter, alternator, and ignition switch. None of these things have solved the issue.

I read on another forum that this issue could be caused by the inappropriate gauge OEM battery cable from the starter to the battery.

Could this really cause intermittent starting issues? Is there something else that I am missing that is causing random starting issues? Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any tests I could perform?

I am open to any suggestions as I feel defeated and not sure what to do next other than get rid of the car. Since the issue occurs randomly it makes it difficult to test anything other than just buy and replace a part and hope that it works.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Intermittent Starting

I forgot to add that another random issue I have been having is that the radio and LED on the radio will turn off, and then after a few seconds or minutes it the radio and LED will come back on....I replaced the ignition switch thinking that it might help, but it did not solve the radio or starting issue.

After reading a post from Jensenpro I read that intermittent radio and horn issues could be caused by a faulty ground connection in the riveted connection between dash bracket and steering column support. Horn and Radio Screen Intermittent?

Following Jensenpro's recommendation I have installed a ground wire....unfortunately not enough time has passed to determine if this fixed the radio issue. Could the radio and starting issue be connected?
Old 16 Apr 2014, 09:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randolphoralph View Post
the radio issue. Could the radio and starting issue be connected?
I think so.
When you replace ignition switch, did you also replace actuator? I understand there are 2 parts - switch and actuator.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Apr 2014, 09:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

I only replaced the switch and not the actuator. I was thinking that if the actuator was bad the starter solenoid would not click when I tried to start it. I did notice the last time that I was having the starting issue that when I turned the key to the start position that the LED and radio worked.

I am not sure what to look at next; battery cables, starter relay, ignition actuator, bad ground, or ignition wiring.

If I understand how the solenoid works it needs voltage from both the ignition wire and the positive battery cable in order to work or even make a click noise.....so either the solenoid is truly bad (and the 10 passed tests at AutoZone were incorrect) or it is not getting enough juice from the battery cables...is this a correct assumption?

The next time I have the starting issue I was going to test the voltage at the starter solenoid/postitive battery cable to rule-out the battery cable, and then test the voltage coming from the ignition wire on the solenoid to rule out the starter relay, ignition actuator, or ignition wiring. Will performing those voltage test work?

Last edited by randolphoralph; 16 Apr 2014 at 10:49 am.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I guess I'm grappling with how wiring could be bad one moment and fine the next, whereas a bad switch/actuator is essentially a different try each time you turn the key.
The starter clicking does tend to ruin the switch/actuator theory....
and I'd suggest whacking the starter, but you've replaced it....

I don't know...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

unless you have a really small lead from the battery I cant see that being a issue after all it is a 4 banger not a big Duramax Desiel unless the lead could be broke inside or something the conectiosn not clean and tight or the silonid being bad
ANd after thinking if the lead was way to small it would just heat up and possability melt anyway--so conections check lead and check solidonid
Old 16 Apr 2014, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Looks like I was editing my post at the same time you replied

That was my same thought about the actuator since the solenoid was clicking. The 1st starter I wacked and had no luck fixing the problem....and Autozone told me that the 1st starter was good, but decided to replace it just to rule it out.

I am just glad I am not the only one that is stumped....
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

All the cables appear to be tight and in good condition...at least what I can visually see without stripping them down.

The original cables according to the manual are 6 guage, however, they look smaller...more like 8 guage.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 11:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Failing starter relay in the underhood PDC?
randyincctx likes this.
Old 16 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Would the starter solenoid click if the relay was failing?